cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Microsoft account team <account-security-noreply@accountprotection.microsoft.com>

21Rouge
I plan to stick around

I got this email today. 

Microsoft account
Verify your email address
To finish setting up this Microsoft account, we just need to make sure this email address is yours.
Verify ________rogers.com
Or you may be asked to enter this security code: 7392
If you didn't make this request,  click here to cancel.
Thanks,

And then almost immediately a follow-up email:

Your Microsoft account has been renamed. We just wanted to check with you that it's okay.
     -  Old account name: _______ @rogers.com 
     -  New account name: martindaniel231@outlook.com 

If this is correct, you don't need to do anything.
If this is incorrect, please follow these steps:
     1. Reset your password by going to https://account.live.com/password/Reset
     2. Rename your account by going to https://account.live.com/

Thanks,
The Microsoft account team

It makes no sense given it is referring to our rogers.com email. But have others seen similarly?

***Added Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: From Microsoft account team <account-security-noreply@accountprotection.microsoft.com>

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Its actually possible to have a Microsoft account with a non hotmail or non outlook address such as rogers.com, bell.net, gmail.com or practically any email address can be a microsoft account. I have a few of them myself. My work one is using my company domain.

Someone probably changed their microsoft account email address and it needs to confirm the address before it makes the change. If you didnt do this then click cancel. Maybe sometimes people have a email very close to yours and did a typo or its also possible someone has some personal info from you from a recent fishing attack and is trying to gain access to your email or other data.

So just be careful and if u didnt do it click cancel.

Re: From Microsoft account team <account-security-noreply@accountprotection.microsoft.com>

21Rouge
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply Pauly. You wrote:

So just be careful and if u didn't do it click cancel.

I didn't select "cancel" in time and the link had expired :(. 

So what does that mean given that second email:

Your Microsoft account has been renamed. We just wanted to check with you that it's okay.
     -  Old account name: _______ @rogers.com 
     -  New account name: martindaniel231@outlook.com 

What do I need to do or do I need/can I do anything?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I honestly have no idea. If I were you, I'd contact Microsoft Support for further questions about this. Maybe its legit? maybe its not? only they can tell you for sure?

21Rouge
I plan to stick around

Never having done this ie every made contact with Microsoft, any idea how to best reach them for the matter in question?

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation