cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card No Longer Active After Attempted SIM Card Change.

bogdanlazar
I plan to stick around

Account transfer done by a Rogers representative failed. Both my SIM cards new and old are inactive! About an hour ago, I dialed *611 and talked with a Rogers representative telling her:

"I have a Pay as You Go Rogers account. I bought a new phone that works with a nano SIM card which I also purchased.  My old phone has a micro SIM card inside. I would like to transfer my phone number, account balance, etc., to this nano SIM which I already installed in the new smartphone."

At her request I provided her with: my name, phone number, PIN, old micro SIM number and the new nano SIM number.

She typed those two SIM codes and suddenly the call ended.

No transfer took place and, worse, my old SIM card is inactive now and I can no longer call *611.

My old phone with the old micro SIM card inside displays "No service - Emergency calls only" and the new one with the new nano SIM shows "Emergency calls only (ROGERS)".

What can be done?

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SIM Card No Longer Active After Attempted SIM Card Change.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hello @bogdanlazar 

perhaps the sim swap did go thru and maybe the phone has not registered onto the network or is having trouble registering?

on the phone with the New sim card, turn off the phone, leave it off for one minute, remove the sim, ensure the contacts are clean and then re-insert the sim. then power it back on

wait 2-3 mins to see if phone registers

if unsuccessful, go into the network settings menu, it might say automatic, try changing it to manual and physically choose rogers from the list of operators, then see if it registers,  if it does, change it back to automatic

if still not working check to see if new sim works in a different phone, phone might have a blacklist on the imei/esn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hello @bogdanlazar 

perhaps the sim swap did go thru and maybe the phone has not registered onto the network or is having trouble registering?

on the phone with the New sim card, turn off the phone, leave it off for one minute, remove the sim, ensure the contacts are clean and then re-insert the sim. then power it back on

wait 2-3 mins to see if phone registers

if unsuccessful, go into the network settings menu, it might say automatic, try changing it to manual and physically choose rogers from the list of operators, then see if it registers,  if it does, change it back to automatic

if still not working check to see if new sim works in a different phone, phone might have a blacklist on the imei/esn

bogdanlazar
I plan to stick around

It appears that the new phone just has to be restarted before it sees the new nano SIM card as active. I did it. I restarted the smartphone and now I can call *611.

Thank you for your help.

No problemo
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 in conversation