cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls I did not make

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

On February 7 I switched from an ancient Android phone to a used iPhone S at the Rogers store. The agent verified it was working by calling the new phone and letting it ring, but not answering. Yesterday I downloaded my call history and see this:

Call History
Date & Time Charge Number Call Description Call Type Usage
02/08/2024 10:54 $0.70 (519) 421-3127 Outgoing Call Local Call
02/07/2024 14:20 $0.70 Incoming SMS
02/07/2024 14:20 $0.70 49988 Outgoing SMS

I know the (519) 421-3127 number is the Rogers store, which I somehow called by accident (I just did it again, have  to figure out how to stop doing that, the iPhone interface is so foreign to me) . But what are those 2 incoming and outgoing texts that happened while I was at the store? I can't find any record of them. This iPhone is rapidly using up my airtime.

**Labels Added**

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Calls I did not make

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR : I mentioned in post 2 of this thread that it is extremely easy to initiate a call when reviewing your call history.  Perhaps that has happened to you again?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

1. called by accident (I just did it again, have  to figure out how to stop doing that, the iPhone interface is so foreign to me) .

2. But what are those 2 incoming and outgoing texts that happened while I was at the store? I can't find any record of them. 

1. When you select the phone icon at the bottom of the screen you then get another set of options.  If you select "Recents" this will bring up a list of your recent calls. As soon as you click on one of those, the phone will call that number.  I've made this mistake a couple of times myself.

2. Perhaps the agent wanted to make sure SMS went through while you were at the store?  You should be able to view those by selecting the message button on the phone, which is on the bottom-right of my iPhone SE 2020.

3. Just as an FYI, if you set up the phone properly (it may even be the default settings), you can send iMessages to other people with iPhones at no charge when you're on WiFi.  In your messages list, iMessages show as blue, while SMS are green

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello OLDYELLR,

Did someone else own this used iPhone?  Does it have any apps installed on it that are not part of the factory installation?  If so, you should do a Factory Reset of this phone to clear those out. Some apps have permission to make and receive calls as well as SMS messages.too.

Also looking at the time stamps the incoming and outgoing SMS were done on a different day and time than when you visited the Rogers store.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:Also looking at the time stamps the incoming and outgoing SMS were done on a different day and time than when you visited the Rogers store.

Huh?  He was there on February 7.  I agree that you may wish to do a reset to factory, but that may not be necessary if everything make sense.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Pauly wrote:

Hello OLDYELLR,

Did someone else own this used iPhone?  Does it have any apps installed on it that are not part of the factory installation?  If so, you should do a Factory Reset of this phone to clear those out. Some apps have permission to make and receive calls as well as SMS messages.too.

Also looking at the time stamps the incoming and outgoing SMS were done on a different day and time than when you visited the Rogers store.

Yes I bought it used, but reset and unlocked. Only apps would be those originally from Apple. I'm going with what @57 said, Rogers may have automatically sent the SMS when I switched to confirm everything worked. 

xxyyz
I plan to stick around

@OLDYELLR, did you have any more of these SMSs going to 49988?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Since I switched to an iPhone, I've seen several instances of calls incoming and outgoing on my PayGo cellphone and haven't yet figured out how to stop them.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Some time ago I switched from an ancient Android phone that stopped doing email to an iPhone 6S and it's been giving me trouble with the occasional call I did not make. Today I heard a faint call in the background on the iPhone, and when I checked my call history I discovered a Long Distance call for $4.70 I did not make.  What can In do to stop this happening?

Charge Number Call Description Call Type Usage
04/18/2024 18:40 $4.70 (800) 328-0402 Outgoing Call LD Call  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR : I mentioned in post 2 of this thread that it is extremely easy to initiate a call when reviewing your call history.  Perhaps that has happened to you again?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Since I switched to an iPhone, I've seen several instances of calls incoming and outgoing on my PayGo cellphone and haven't yet figured out how to stop them.

Check out my post on Live Voicemail and make sure it's turned off if you don't want it.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/iPhone-Live-Voicemail-Option-May-Affect-PAYGo-Pr...

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation