cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 Texts included with Talk & Text 10?

StephenB427
I'm here a lot

I need to confirm my reading of the following which comes from By the Month Talk and Text 10: 

50 minutes of anytime local calls included 30¢/minute for additional usage. 50¢/minute for Canadian and U.S. long distance calls  50 Canadian/U.S. and international text, picture,and video messaging 35¢/message for international text messages 75¢/message for U.S./international picture and video messages  $10 monthly

Are 50 text messages included in the $10 monthly fee? Or is it a maximum of 50 plain texts monthly which can be sent internationally (with no mention of the US) at 35¢/message? Many thanks.

Stephen

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 50 Texts included with Talk & Text 10?

RogersMoin

Hello, @StephenB427.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😀

Thank you for posting your query in the Community; it's a good idea to clarify before signing up for the plan. 

Are 50 text messages included in the $10 monthly fee? Or is it a maximum of 50 plain texts monthly which can be sent internationally (with no mention of the US) at 35¢/message? Many thanks.

Stephen

Yes, 50 Canadian/U.S. and international text, picture and video messages included in the plan. The 51st message will be chargeable at the applicable rate. Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersMoin

Hello, @StephenB427.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community; it's a good idea to clarify before signing up for the plan. 

Stephen

Yes, 50 Canadian/U.S. and international text, picture and video messages included in the plan. The 51st message will be chargeable at the applicable rate. Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

slpless
I've been here awhile

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @StephenB427.

Stephen

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Does this Talk & Text 10 plan include unlimited incoming texts? Or, do incoming texts count toward 50 texts included in this plan?

My impression is that incoming texts count toward the 50 texts monthly allowance, which is unfortunate since subscribers sometimes have no control over the sender of advertising, notifications, etc. Hopefully someone from Rogers will respond and correct my impression. 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@StephenB427 wrote:

...subscribers sometimes have no control over the sender of advertising, notifications, etc. 

If you do receive spam texts, you can forward them to SPAM (7726) and they will usually be stopped.  

In addition, you can call the PAYGo phone number and get credit for unsolicited texts. I don't usually bother with one or two, but if I got say a dozen within a couple of months, I would call, especially if I need to talk to them about something else - instructions below.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822

slpless
I've been here awhile

I found an answer from a moderator in an old thread.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Charged-for-Picture-Messages-with-10-Prepaid-Tal...

So, both incoming and outgoing texts count toward 50 texts included in $10 plan. Disappointed.

Hello again... I just learned something from reviewing my text account where there were a number of entries for the same time when only one text message was sent or received. The explanation, when I called Pay as You Go customer service is that there is a maximum of 160 characters for each text message. So, when that number is exceeded, then it counts for more than one message. If the message is long, then it could easily use up a number texts messages toward the monthly limited of 50. I don't recall ever seeing a limit of 160 characters per message. Hmmmm

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@StephenB427 wrote:

...I don't recall ever seeing a limit of 160 characters per message. 

Been there for quite a while. Not many texts go on for that long.  Here's additional explanation.

https://www.textanywhere.net/faq/is-there-a-maximum-sms-message-length

https://www.nowsms.com/long-sms-text-messages-and-the-160-character-limit

Thanks for your input. It is likely true for the length of a typical text message. My spouse, who is travelling, sent me a text this morning of 56 characters which was charged as five (5) incoming messages! So, it seems, something is not as it should be...

When I signed up for the plan I didn't expect to have to go beyond the outline offered describing the pros and cons of each plan. To me it doesn't seem reasonable that I should/would explore past threads on a user forum to find the 160 character limit. It would have been more user friendly to have this information posted/included with plan outlines including the incoming/outgoing message count toward 50.

Sorry, I was mistaken - the message from my spouse this morning was 279 characters or 55 words and 3 lines. It was about six sentences. The five count for incoming messages was still very much over 2 times 160 characters. The message I receive was not very long and so I take back the observation that a typical text message would likely not exceed 160 characters. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're worried about "going over", perhaps you should consider one of the add-ons.

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/addons

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation