cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone and Kakaotalk Issue with Rogers/Fido Network

kresher
I've been around

Hi,

This is an ongoing issue with many people (mostly Koreans) who are using iPhones on Rogers/Fido network. (Android phones have no issue)

With a popular Korean messenger app, Kakaotalk, in combination with both iPhone and Rogers/Fido network, people cannot receive or send messages/pics on cellular data at all.

We see notifications pop up, but the actual messages/pics don't load on cellular data.

Once connected to a wifi network, it works normally but that's only when you are indoors on a stable wifi connection.

People have tried using a VPN app to fix this issue, which does let you receive messages/pics on cellular data.

However, even this VPN app fix doesn't let you send pics on cellular data.

This is a huge inconvenience for many users and only affects those using iPhone on Rogers/Fido network.

Telus and Bell have no such issue with iPhone users who use Kakaotalk. It's only Rogers/Fido.

If this issue doesn't get resolved, I and many others have no choice but to switch carrier to Telus or Bell.

***Edited Labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: iPhone and Kakaotalk Issue with Rogers/Fido Network

jpark123
I've been around
Having the exact same issue. It is very inconvenient for my family. If the issue persists for another day, I will be looking to switch to Telus. Please resolve the issue asap.

njoo-2
I've been around

Want to add that I've been having the same issue as well, and would need it fixed asap or else I'd need to change carrier as well.

Hk13
I've been here awhile
Exact same problem for me. I hear the same thing is happening with T-Mobile customers.

Hk13
I've been here awhile
Did anyone try talking to tech support about this? I doubt it would be that helpful, but still

nJoo
I've been here awhile

A temp workaround that seems to have fixed my issue, on my iPhone cellular voice and data setting, it was previously on 5G Auto, but when I changed it to 5G or LTE, kakao messages seemed to be going through (and when I switch back to 5G auto, it doesn't work again).  Will need to test it for a few days to see if it actually fixes the issue.  See if this works for others too 🙂

Greetings Community!

Having seen similar issues like this in the past, I can't help but wonder if the Kakaotalk app needs an update to address this issue. If users on other networks such as T-Mobile are experiencing similar issues, I would lean towards this being an app issue rather than a network related one.

Has anyone tried reaching out to the developers for support with the app as of yet? If not, I would highly recommend contacting the devs as the first point of contact should you encounter any issues with any app.

If anyone has reached out to the devs, please kindly share their findings or suggestions with us here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hk13
I've been here awhile
This worked for me once, but it's not really consistent. Probably just a result of it resetting the network connection.

Hk13
I've been here awhile
I submitted a ticket a few days ago with no reply. Some T-Mobile customers asked tech support and said it was a result of the carrier blocking something specific with Kakao, and probably the same with Rogers, as both these carriers are known for being pretty restrictive on customers

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/11wvhxr/comment/jdtd0aj/

Hi Corey,

I submitted a support case with KakaoTalk and below is the response I received. Seems like they are aware of this issue and looking for a solution from their end. That being said, since app connection is working fine via VPN service, I am wondering if this could be a network related issue? Is it possible to have Rogers network team looking into this issue in parallel? 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello. This is kakaotalkhelp.
We will respond to your inquiry.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
We have confirmed that some users are having problem in sending/receiving messages when using a specific overseas telecommunication network.

The issue has been reported to the Kakao developer and we are finding a solution to the problem.

However, we cannot solve the problem immediately as it is difficult to figure out the network policy of the carriers.

Although using a VPN is known to normalize the use of service, we ask for your understanding that we cannot guarantee this.

We recommend you to contact your carrier for further information.

As always, thank you for using kakaoTalk.
We promise to improve our service for your convenience.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thanks,

HY1014
I've been around
I have the same issues. It’s very frustrating as my elderly parents use this app to communicate and I have to constantly worry if they are out of touch. If anyone finds a work around, please share.

nJoo
I've been here awhile

*Update* This method seems to work only sometimes.... I've been using VPN and it's so annoying.  Hope it'll be fixed soon

HJOH
I've been around
We have same issues and it’s really annoying. Grrr. Thinking on switching to Telus or Bell from Rogers

aaaaaaaaaaaaahh
I've been around

This is definitely an issue with Rogers and Fido as i have friends on Telus without any issue whatsoever. Majority of Korean people us this app to communicate and having problems because of the carrier seems crazy 

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 22 Likes
  • 10 in conversation