cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Text Messages While Overseas

girl93941
I've been around

I like to turn on my cell phone line while I am oversea just to see who called and receiving text. I don't turn on Roam like home. However, when I was in Europe last week, I wasn't able to receive any text messages. I used able to receive text. Is there a way to turn it on ?

***Edited Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Receiving Text Messages While Overseas

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@girl93941 wrote:

1. I like to turn on my cell phone line while I am oversea just to see who called and receiving text.

2. I don't turn on Roam like home.

3. However, when I was in Europe last week, I wasn't able to receive any text messages. I used able to receive text.

1. What do you mean by this?  Do you mean that you keep your phone turned off and then turn it on occasionally?  If you turn on the phone with the Rogers SIM in and you're not in airplane mode, then as soon as your phone connects to a cell tower, you may encounter charges, if Roam LIke Home is "on".  If Roam Like Home is off, then you may encounter pay-per-use charges depending on what you do.

2. You cannot typically "turn on" Roam Like Home when travelling. One can turn it off by contacting Rogers before you leave on your trip.

3. One can receive iMessages on an iPhone if you are connected to WiFi, or if you use something like WhatsApp.

4. Check out the following thread on roaming.  Read at least posts 1 and 2, including the links in post 2.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Understanding-How-Roaming-Works/m-p/531963

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation