cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN issue with NetGear LM1200 LTE

gvoros
I've been here awhile

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me as the Rogers Business support person was stumped.

I'm attempting to use Rogers Mobile as a cost-effective backup Internet option if my main ISP goes down, since I have plenty of extra data I pay for every month and never use between my mobility accounts. So - I got a tablet SIM added to my account and a Netgear LM1200 LTE Modem. Works great! ... except I couldn't get a static IP address on the personal plan (which I need).

No problem, as per Rogers' Support suggestion, at additional cost, I migrated a phone over to the business side, and got the "Static APN Access" add-on (at another additional cost).

So, this is all working. Except the modem still is assigned a dynamic, private IP.

Another rogers support call later - so I have to change the APN to either "ltestaticip.apn" or "staticip.apn" (he wasn't sure which). I tried both - no connection with either one. (The instant I switch back to "lteinternet.apn" or "ltemobile.apn" it works perfectly... with a dynamic IP).

If I put the SIM into my phone "staticip.apn" works - it's a bit flaky and disconnects every once in a while, and is only 6 Mbit and on the 4G network - but at least it connects and assigns the IP I was given. "ltestaticip.apn" (which a colleague who has this exact setup uses) won't work on my phone, either.

Since "staticip.apn" worked on my phone, the tech support person refused to escalate it claiming it's a problem with my hardware, but I don't see how that is when the other APN works just fine, and "ltestaticip.apn" which I guess is the full speed connection, isn't working on any device. 

Help?! Any suggestions?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: APN issue with NetGear LM1200 LTE

gvoros
I've been here awhile

Sorry to reply to my own post, but... problem solved.

Customer service had given me a 3G Static IP address. Oops. So it was working in my cell phone for 'staticip.apn' because the phone was automatically selecting the slower band. The LM1200 LTE modem wasn't smart enough to do this but if I manually set it to use WCDMA only, it connected! Yay! (although - only at 3G speeds).

Thanks to Ra*** who figured this out in all of 3 minutes... frustrating when I spent 3 hours on this with another tech earlier in the day!

So hopefully when they switch it over to a proper LTE static IP when customer service opens in the morning, I'll be able to use 'ltestaticip.apn' and get it working at proper speed.

Hopefully this helps others (and maybe why the suggestion to remove the static IP + add it back on worked for others here in the past).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: APN issue with NetGear LM1200 LTE

gvoros
I've been here awhile

Sorry to reply to my own post, but... problem solved.

Customer service had given me a 3G Static IP address. Oops. So it was working in my cell phone for 'staticip.apn' because the phone was automatically selecting the slower band. The LM1200 LTE modem wasn't smart enough to do this but if I manually set it to use WCDMA only, it connected! Yay! (although - only at 3G speeds).

Thanks to Ra*** who figured this out in all of 3 minutes... frustrating when I spent 3 hours on this with another tech earlier in the day!

So hopefully when they switch it over to a proper LTE static IP when customer service opens in the morning, I'll be able to use 'ltestaticip.apn' and get it working at proper speed.

Hopefully this helps others (and maybe why the suggestion to remove the static IP + add it back on worked for others here in the past).

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 1 in conversation