cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV App on Android Box

ve3tej
I plan to stick around

I am getting " This video stream is not playable on the current device"

I am getting this message on 3 different android boxes, these boxes I am able to watch netflix, amazon prime and utube.

This is included on live tv and recorded programs, the box is connected via hdmi

*** Edited Title and Labels ***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ignite TV App on Android Box

RogersTony

Hello, @ve3tej

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I can totally understand you wanting to use the Ignite TV App on your Android boxes. Unfortunately, these devices are not supported by the Ignite TV App. You can see a list of supported devices by Clicking Here.

Do you have any issues when trying to access the App via your Smartphones/Tablets or your Computer via the Web browser?

RogersTony

Ignite TV App on Android TV devices?

Hey Rogers, what's up with not allowing Ignite TV to run on Android TV devices?
Alternatively, why can I not cast to Android TV devices?
It is pretty disappointing to read that you unnecessarily lockout millions of devices.

Is it from lack of competition/drive in the space?
Bell allows it just fine. With Bell(and others) I can:

• Use their Fibe(or other) TV app directly on my Chromecast and nVidia Shield; or,
  • Cast from my iOS devices directly to the Chromecast/nVidia Shield

Is it to protect the sales/subscriptions of Rogers Ignite TV boxes? 

If so, you read it here first, it's backfiring.
I am cancelling my Rogers Ignite TV package ($60/m) to go with Netflix and PrimeTV (with addon network TV channels), for less $.

I'm not just posting a salty comment for the sake of it. 
If you update your app to work with Android TV, I will be back.

Disappointing

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Usually when a TV company comes out with an App to watch TV on your phone, they do it in STAGES.    Stage A is something like you can watch TV on your smart phone,  Stage B is they open up and allow you to watch it on a Tablet, and Stage 3, you can watch it on some Android TV devices (Android TV is different th Android Box), stage 4, is you can watch on more supported Android TV devices,  Stage 5 is chrome-cast support,  Stage 6 is well you get the drift.

When They just launched Ignite TV like what a year ago and came out with the App a year ago, its probably stage 1 or 2,  to expect it to be Stage 7 is not realistic,  give them time to develop and expand the app, as Ignite is a relatively new product, you cant and should not compare it with Bell's Fibe TV or Cogeco or Shaw or Telus as they have had their products much longer and have had time to expand it. give rogers a chance, be patient

Well it been out long enough that it should be past all that cell phones work tablets works iso works its well past the time it need to work from android boxes need to work if it did you would get more people coming over

the app has been out over 2 years now and still there working out bugs I have developed apps last week that are more stable than this one and we only have 10 dev so not sure why rogers is so behind

Benedetto
I've been here awhile

I was a Rogers customer for  15 yrs. This is the reason I canceled Rogers, I have 5 TVs in the home, I wasn't going to pay 50$ just for boxes so that I could receive a signal that I am paying for in the first place.

The first box was included in the package, I tried installing the ignite TV app on my android boxed so that  could get the channels over wifi, but the app wont allow output to an external screen.

So I moved to VMedia, full TV pack and unlimited high speed Internet for half the price, and with Rogers I only had the basic TV package. (now I pay $49 for full TV pack and $49 for 75Mb/s unlimited, and also i got free TV for the first 3 months and internet at $24 for the first 2 months)

I installed the Vmedia APP on my ROKU Tvs and android boxes at no cost, all the channels stream over wifi no issues.

This is the new way of TV, if rogers can't see that, more people will cancel.

Sami774882
I plan to stick around

I am biased, I love Rogers.  I am just stating my preference.  Different people have different preferences.  The minor savings isn’t worth for me to get an inferior service.  With Rogers I get gigabit internet.  All the smaller companies offer much less speed usually at most 100 mbps.

Bell offers similar but usually costs a lot more.

Benedetto
I've been here awhile
You must be a gamer to require so much bandwidth.. i did notice that with the reseller the jitter can be as high as 60ms and at times as low as 10ms, but it doesn’t affect me personally as I don’t play games. Rogers is very good when it comes latency, very low Jitter great for high performance network gaming. However I can run Netflix on 4 TVs and Disney+ on a fifth tv.. YouTube on laptop and pc and tablets .. all at once and still stream on my cellphone all on 75Mbps connection.. It all depends what your requirements are.

SS76
I plan to stick around

this is really disappointing.   I have Rogers Ignite, but also have a couple of TV's that I use Android boxes on and not able to use the Rogers Ignite TV app on those is just wrong.     Quite frankly, its a reason i'll be looking to cancel my service......there are many options, and I'm being forced to explore those when I wouldn't have done so otherwise. 

There is a will, there is a way. Search "XDA" on Google. Compatible .apk is there to download. Thanks. 

The ignite box is terrible. Just got it and there's an activation error already. I guess I'll be on with tech support for the next week. Seeing a lot of the same issues online. 

I'll be switching to bell fibe once my yearly discounted rate is up. This would be a much better experience if I could just install an app on my shield tv.

AUsername
I've been here awhile

This is really dirty!!!  Let people use their Android boxes!  If our Android phones and tablets work on Ignite TV so will the Android boxes.  Rogers has blocked them so they can make more money.  Dirty, dirty, dirty!!!  CHANGE THIS NOW!!!!!

Maybe stable. But security and handling bandwidth is another a huge factor. And I'm sure their process is more stringent and more hoops to jump through to push it out.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 13 in conversation