Changes to Login November 2018

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Changes to Login November 2018

I tried clearing the cookies and cache on Chrome and it worked. 

It didn't work for MS Edge and it didn't even work with IN PRIVATE.

The little White circle on the Red sign in bar just kept spinning.

181209 sign on 10.jpg

It appears that if we are experiencing issues logging in, they have to attempt to replicate the issue in order to create a ticket to have it investigated.   There doesn't appear to be a problem at the Rogers end and since it works for some browsers and not others, they think it is a cookie/cache issue with the specific browser being used. We seem to be able to login successfully using alternative browsers, using incognito or clearing the cache. From their point of view it is browser specific problem which is cookie/cache related. 

My theory is that it is related to the Captchas.  I have noted that this started when the Captchs showed up. You log in to MyRogers and you could then go to Community Forums. Now you can't.  When you switch to the forum, you are logged on because you can see your USER ID.  Unfortunately your USER ID isn't in the top right. You see Sign in/Register. The software logic doesn't trigger the flag that you have been verified already.

I just tried logging into to Rogers Community Forums from MS Edge directly. Got the sign-in form, got the Catchas and presto, I was in the Community Forum.  To me it isn't a cookie issue, but a faulty Captcha issue.   I should charge by the hour for all the time wasted on this. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although the Captchas may muddy the waters, the issues of logging in started years ago. Here's a sample thread.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/Signing-in-to-the-forum/td-p/3...

We also discussed the fact that there are issues switching between the Forum and MyRogers (and AnyPlace) at that time too - link below.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/Signing-in-to-the-forum/m-p/40...

I don't know what precipitates the problems every once in a while.  Rogers must make some changes that we don't see and then we end up with login issues.  At least I'm usually able to switch browsers, or go Incognito, or clear Rogers cookies and have it work again...

As you say, we shouldn't really need to and we don't encounter these sorts of issues on any other websites, and I visit a lot.

@57 wrote:

Although the Captchas may muddy the waters, the issues of logging in started years ago. Here's a sample thread.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/Signing-in-to-the-forum/td-p/3...

We also discussed the fact that there are issues switching between the Forum and MyRogers (and AnyPlace) at that time too - link below.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/Signing-in-to-the-forum/m-p/40...

I don't know what precipitates the problems every once in a while.  Rogers must make some changes that we don't see and then we end up with login issues.  At least I'm usually able to switch browsers, or go Incognito, or clear Rogers cookies and have it work again...

As you say, we shouldn't really need to and we don't encounter these sorts of issues on any other websites, and I visit a lot.

You and I also crossed paths with this problem at lot earlier.  March 2017 called Captcha Issues in "The lounge"

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/Captcha-Issues/m-p/396795

The various links above shows that this problem of logging in to the Community Forums has been a persistent issue for about 3 years. There is probably so many changes going on, they don't think the cost-benefit trade off is worth it to fix it.  Letting their customers get frustrated is their least costly option.     

To reply, I did try logging in directly to the Community Forums using both Chrome and Edge by loading the Contact Us page.   https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus

Chrome didn't give me Captchas, probably because it had already loaded the verification cookie, but MS Edge did give me "Cars" Captchas. Thankfully both browsers worked without Incognito or InPrivate, or without clearing my cache.  It is not worth trying to go from MyRogers to Community Forums because it is too unreliable. I don't know what cookies get loaded, but they don't work.  I think logging out and back in is the least frustrating workaround. You probably suggested it to me months ago. Smiley Wink  I hope the CSRs put this workaround on their "White Board" for the next frustrated Commnity Forums customer who can't log in. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback. I can assure you that I myself run into the same problem as well, and we are currently working with the MyRogers team to best address.

Keep the feedback coming! We're always listening.

RogersDarrell

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Keep the feedback coming! We're always listening.

RogersDarrell

Trying to log in this morning I got this message when I tried to log in to Community Forums.  I had logged in to see my data as I got my 75% pop up warning.  

I was on for less than 5 minutes.  I did click log out at one point in trying to switch to Community Forums. In logging back on this came up which means there is a faulty timer or calculation somewhere.

181211 sign in issue.jpg 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the "no activity for 30 minutes" comes up about 30% the time for me, even though it doesn't apply. I always logout and sometimes I come back in 15 minutes and that message is there. I believe it has affected others as mentioned in the forum login thread.

I just ignore it now. I haven't had any login issues since I cleared all my Rogers cookies.

I'm a Senior Advisor

To confirm, I also get that "no activity for 30 minutes" screen from time to time and it very seldom has any relevance; it's just random. I wish Rogers would just get rid of it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@OLDYELLR wrote:

To confirm, I also get that "no activity for 30 minutes" screen from time to time and it very seldom has any relevance; it's just random. I wish Rogers would just get rid of it.

A lot of these log in isssues seem to be completely random. This time, I just opened the Community Mailer telling me someone had posted, clicked on the link to your @OLDYELLR post, typed in my password and here I am.  No glitches, no problems.   Other times, I get pop-ups as mentioned. or captchas (sometimes more than once) or it just refreshes the sign in/register page.  All I can do is describe the random experiences I am having. I think most people just ignore it. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just now when going to my bookmark for Community Forums notifications, I got some generic Rogers page instead. I've stopped worrying about it.  Stuff happens. I just clicked my bookmark again an it worked. Accessing this forum has always been a bit quirky compared to just about every other forum on the Internet. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that logging in also accesses your Rogers account. Whatever it is, I've come to accept it and no longer worry about it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Had to clear Rogers cookies and the cache again today when using Chrome.  Clearing the cookies without clearing the cache didn't work.  I got the "bouncing beans and constant screen refresh" otherwise.

2. Firefox worked fine, but I had to do a Captcha.

3. One thing I have noticed is if the "curser" is not inside the password box ready to accept the password, I often have issues. If the curser is there, things are usually fine.