cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see connected devices on Rogers Home Connect app

julsbelliveau
I've been here awhile

My family's devices (iPads & iPhones) are all connected to our home network but they are not showing up in the "Connected" devices on my Rogers HomeConnect App. I used to be able to set usage limits for my kids and had profiles created with their assigned devices, but for the last few months, I can no longer manage their internet access via the app.

All devices in our household are connected, even guest devices can connect no problem, but I have no visibility on the connected devices through the app.

I read a few forums and it was suggested to delete the app and re-install...no luck.

I tried manually resetting to the factory settings of the gateway and re-activating my gateway...no luck.

I tried installing the HomeConnect App on my wife's iPhone to see if that would allow me to view devices...no luck.

Anyone out there experiencing the same problem?  Any solution for this?

The app controls in one of the biggest reasons why I switched to Rogers.  Now, I can't even use the most important feature!  Help!!!

***EDITED LABELS***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Cannot see connected devices on Rogers Home Connect app

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julsbelliveau wrote:

My family's devices (iPads & iPhones) are all connected to our home network but they are not showing up in the "Connected" devices on my Rogers HomeConnect App.

Anyone out there experiencing the same problem?  Any solution for this?

The app controls in one of the biggest reasons why I switched to Rogers.  Now, I can't even use the most important feature!  Help!!!

Do you have MAC address randomization (also called private Wi-Fi addresses) enabled?  That can cause those devices to get "disguised" in the device list.

julsbelliveau
I've been here awhile

Still nothing.  I turned it off on my iPhone and I can't even see my iPhone on the Rogers app, but yet I'm connected to my network.

Try rebooting the modem to see if the modem picks up the MAC address during the reboot.  

Fwiw, there are MAC addresses which are assigned to device manufacturers and some which are not assigned to device manufacturers.  One of the questions regarding random MAC address enabling is whether or not the resulting MAC addresses remain within Apple's assigned MAC address range, or, if the resulting MAC addresses are outside of that range but are still legal MAC addresses. 

The next question is what does the modem do with the device MAC addresses.  Does Comcast only show those MAC addresses which are within company assigned MAC address, for all companies, and what happens if the modem encounters a MAC address which isn't assigned to a company but is still a legal MAC address?

Here's the google search lookup results for MAC address Vendor lookup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+address+vendor+lookup&oq=MAC+address&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i433i51...

Use that to determine which company comes up when you enter the iphone's MAC address.  You might have to try more than one site, depending on what pops up for the results. 

If the MAC address shows as an Apple MAC address, then, in theory the modem should recognize it on the reboot.  If you have already assigned the iphone to a profile, you might have to delete that profile, then reboot the modem. 

If the MAC address is unassigned, as in its not assigned to a specific company, and there are a few MAC address ranges that fit that description, then the question is, what does the modem to with that MAC address?  If you have already removed the profile that contains that phone, and the phone doesn't show up after a reboot, I'd almost suspect that Comcast has designed the profile system to only work with assigned company MAC address ranges.  That would be for all companies, not just Apple.  

julsbelliveau
I've been here awhile
Thanks. I tried rebooting multiple times without any luck. Still not able to see connected devices. Is there a way to access Home Connect app features online vs. Using the app? I could try assigning privileges to connected devices that way.

Bruce1st
I've been here awhile

yes i am the 2 pods still see the devices but now the modem/router quit showing its devices and hasn't come back yet i even uninstalled app and reinstalled app still does it. That was my main purpose was so i could see all my devices. getting very frustrated as nothing has been done to fix the app so far. 

Bruce1st
I've been here awhile

i forgot to mention i did the rebooting many times and everything else that people have mentioned on here. I believe that there is a glitch in the app itself. It may have updated after installation? because it did work in the beginning.

Good afternoon @Bruce1st!

I'm running the most recent version of the app on my personal device and can still see all the connected devices. If there's an issue with the app, it's not affecting all customers.

Have you tried using the app on a different device, if possible? If it works on another device, then it's a device issue rather than an issue with the app. If it's happening on all devices, we'd need to troubleshoot further.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Bruce1st
I've been here awhile

Hi I installed the  app on my other cell and it does the same thing. I can see the devices from each of the two pods but not the modem. It is the shaw homeconnect app and not the rogers homeconnect app that I am using. I used to be able to see from all 3 devices both pods and modem but not now. All 3 are showing on line. I even upgraded my modem from generation 1 to generation 2 thinking that might be the problem but the new modem is still not showing devices but the 2 pods are. I have rebooted everything including my cell. I even did a factory reset. I uninstalled the app and re-installed it. It worked in Sept when I joined Shaw/Rogers and then just last week it started doing this. I haven't done anything different or added anything new so it's the same setup as Sept when I joined and added my devices so technically it should work unless there was an automatic upgrade that could have changed things.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation