cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN IP Location for Mobile 5G Incorrect

DS256
I plan to stick around

When I look up the WAN address for my Nokia Router, it says it's located in Toronto. I'm near Bracebridge Ontario. This can be very annoying when I let a web site use my current location to find the closest store. I didn't have this issue with my previous Rogers Rocket Hub.

How can I update the location assigned to my IP address?

Thanka

3 REPLIES 3

Re: WAN IP Location for Mobile 5G Incorrect

RogersTony

Hello, @DS256 

Thank you for posting your question to the community.

The location of your IP address is geo-tagged by a third party company. We do not have the ability to update the location tagged to your IP address. We use DHCP to manage our network which controls assigning IP address leases. 

Once the lease for your current IP address is expired you may be assigned a new IP address.

RogersTony

DS256
I plan to stick around

Hi @RogersTony .

The location of your IP address is geo-tagged by a third party company. We do not have the ability to update the location tagged to your IP address. 

Actually there are a number of 3rd party sites that provide IP to location. So is the suggestion for Rogers 5G Mobile user to reach out to some of these sites to correct location information?

Once the lease for your current IP address is expired you may be assigned a new IP address.

Yes, but unless the DHCP Server changes, the likelihood is that the the same IP address will be reassigned based on the MAC address. 

So, I think I'll start reaching out to the 3rd party providers to try and correct the issue.

DS256
I plan to stick around

Update.

An additional problem is that Rogers keeps changing the WAN IP address. Here's a sampling from 9/25 to 10/4 in descending assignment of my 5G Mobile.

And with respect to "The location of your IP address is geo-tagged by a third party company." they can only report on what is posted in ARIN which, it seems, should be updated by Rogers.

Bottom line is that you not allow any program to use your current location since it will be erronenous if you are using 5G Mobile.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation