Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Internet and FastMile Streaming

off-grid
I've been here awhile

Hi folks - 

3 questions: 

- Does the Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway have an ethernet port on it? I assume so but wanted to check beforehand. 

- Is it possible to stream TV to my Chromecast (or whatever device) at 3Mbps? That seems slow but possible. Does anybody have any real world experience? 

- I have another 5G router (example: Sierra Wireless router) and might prefer to use it instead of Nokia. Has anybody used another non-Roger device yet? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Home Internet and FastMile Streaming

Hi @off-grid,

When streaming, you will have download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, good for videos up to 720p HD whether you exceed the data or not. 

Regards

RogersJermaine

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersJermaine

Hi @off-grid,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums, and we do thank you for your inquiry.

- Does the Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway have an ethernet port on it? I assume so but wanted to check beforehand.

There are two Gigabit Ethernet LAN connectors on the backside of the Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway 3.2.

- Is it possible to stream TV to my Chromecast (or whatever device) at 3Mbps? That seems slow but possible. Does anybody have any real world experience?

You can stream any standard-definition or up to 720p high-definition program at 3 Mbps with an acceptable set-up time and basic video clarity. You can find out more information on how much speed is required for various activities here. I have tagged a few community members that have posted in the past about the Nokia Fastmile service; hopefully they can chime in with their experience with it. @cata2ca@SHEEB, and @gareth01

- I have another 5G router (example: Sierra Wireless router) and might prefer to use it instead of Nokia. Has anybody used another non-Roger device yet?

While bridge mode is not supported by the modem, you can find some additional information or workarounds in this thread here.

I hope this information helps!

RogersJermaine

off-grid
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, sorry I have 1 more question as I am reading conflicting comments on this. 

Question #4 - so if I stay under the 500GB/month threshold, can I stream video (ex: ignitetv, other streaming services) at the normal speeds and not be throttled at 3Mbps on the downlink?

Thanks in advance

Hi @off-grid,

When streaming, you will have download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, good for videos up to 720p HD whether you exceed the data or not. 

Regards

RogersJermaine

off-grid
I've been here awhile

That's too bad. I'm not sure that it's going to work with my google Chromecast that supports HD video. I am not sure if it will negotiate at lower data rates... Perhaps I will give it a try and see if it works. 

rflats771
I plan to stick around
Lol, I'm having the same problem, there's NO WAY that in 2024 you should be limited to 720p resolution, how can you sell this piece of garbage with that limitation?

OK so this is getting frustrating 😞

But I am at my wits end with the fast mile and streaming and from what I have read on other posts I think I am hooped, but would love input in case I am missing something Please.

I signed up for the Gateway Nokia Fast mile hub to use in my RV when Traveling for accessing the Internet for Work as well as watching live TV (Ignite TV-Shaw) and Nexflix Etc.

I was informed by the sales people that it functioned exactly like what I have at home now, only it was not locked to a certain location so would work all across Canada.

I could watch the hockey games and tv and stream movies and most importantly access the internet for my secure workstation to actually work 🙂 The work thing is great and functions as expected

Unit works great for surfing the web, Doing my daily computer job and Netflix (a little choppy, but not all the time) and such,,,, BUT when it come to streaming live TV I Does Not Work. 😞

I have older TV's in My RV (Not Smart) and instead of getting New TV's I just hooked up a Fire stick to them and they work great for everything except the Shaw Ignite TV App.

Testing I have done:

Home Internet Testing SHAW showing 246 Mbps speed test

When first setting up the Firestick, I connected it to the older TV and then connected to my home internet service (SHAW) Via Wifi.

Downloaded the Ignite tv App on the fire stick, and navigated to Live TV option, selected a live channel (Sports Net) and all played awesome

I also downloaded the Sports Net App on the fire stick to test direct access instead of going through Ignite TV and all was great.

#2 Test

Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway 3.2 Hub showing 91.68 Mbps Speed rate

Connected the Fire stick to the Nokia fastmile Network, and opened the Ignite TV app (feeling excited to be able to just use the fire stick and not have to buy new TV's as it worked great on my home Wifi I would not think there would be an issue)

Navigated to the same test channel and it is a No Go 😞 keep getting a playback error 1001 code and apparently that means not enough bandwidth/ connection service and after doing everything I can think of, even telling my Firestick to only play at 720p 50hz (the lowest I can), it still will not play.

Also played the Sports Net App directly, and it plays but with lots of buffering 😞

Ok So I am guessing I am hooped, and now have a unit that only does part of what I was told it could do, but If anyone has any ideas if there is anything else I can do about the streaming thing let me know

Thanks in Advance

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation