cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile wifi

SandyReg
I plan to stick around

Is there any reason why an Inseego 5G mobile wifi would have a significantly poorer wifi signal than a tethered cell phone (4G LTE signal)

*Added Labels*

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Mobile wifi

RogersYasmine

Hey @SandyReg !

Thanks for joining us in the community! I see you've been chatting with us about this concern via PM. 🙂

Although we don't typically support third party device issues, you can try reaching out to our tech support teams to rule out any service/connection related issues. With this being said, if the slow service only seems to be occurring on one specific device, it could be hardware related.

I would recommend also reaching out to the manufacturer as well, to see if they have any ideas or can offer any additional support. 

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

SandyReg
I plan to stick around
Thanks, but the problem is the device I bought FROM Rogers not working as well on Rogers mobile as it does on Telus and I'm trying to understand why. Waited over an hour on hold last night before finally giving up

Good afternoon @SandyReg!

In order to answer this question, we'll need to know the make/model of the other mobile device you're using to tether.

Please let us know as soon as you can. Thank you!

Regards,

RogersCorey

SandyReg
I plan to stick around
Samsung Galaxy S10 on Telus
I'm getting minimum 140 Mbps on my laptop tethered to Samsung and a maximum of 40 Mbps "tethered" to Inseego on Rogers

donald795
I've been around

Hello,

while unusual a weaker Wi-Fi signal on an Inseego 5G hotspot compared to a tethered 4G LTE phone could be due to factors like antenna quality, device placement, network congestion, software issues, Wi-Fi channel interference, or a hardware malfunction. Check signal strength, location, Wi-Fi settings, and firmware updates.

SandyReg
I plan to stick around
Thanks donald795,
Just getting frustrated with how being less than a mile from the cell tower I can have such different signal quality on two devices. Then add on the . quality of TSN and Sportsnet apps........

SandyReg
I plan to stick around

Corey,

Any ideas?

RogersMaude

Good morning @SandyReg,

Thank you for your reply!

If I understand correctly, you're experiencing slower speeds on your Rogers device compared to a similar Telus device also connected to your Inseego network at home. Is that right?

Additionally, are you able to confirm whether you've tried any troubleshooting steps since you first noticed the problem?

Have you had a chance to contact our Wireless Home Internet support team to investigate the slow speeds you are experiencing, since you reached out to us via private message?

If you have not, you can get in touch with them by dialing 1-844-256-0052 wand they are available 24/7.

RogersMaude

SandyReg
I plan to stick around
I'm trying to use a projector hooked to a Chromecast/Google TV streaming device. I have two sources of internet, (1) Inseego 5G on Rogers Mobility and (2) my Samsung Galaxy S10 phone on Telus Mobility. When I hook up my laptop instead of the projector to more easily run speed test on both sources, I get up to 40 Mbps on Rogers and at least 140 Mbps on Telus. I waited on phone for over an hour one time and about half an hour another time to speak with tech group but gave up. My question is whether the Inseego 5G unit SHOULD be inferior to the Samsung phone in providing internet speed to my devices

Hello, @SandyReg.

We appreciate the additional info.

The Galaxy S10 phone and the Inseego 5G are designed for different purposes. The Inseego prioritizes versatility and device connectivity over raw speed. The S10, when connected to an LTE network, can achieve higher speeds because of its LTE-A Pro Cat 20 capabilities.

The distance of the towers is also vital for the signal strength and speeds.

Our tech support team can diagnose your Inseego device and Rogers network connection to see if the speed can be improved.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards,
RogersMoin

SandyReg
I plan to stick around
Thanks for that info. It turns out my Chromecast may be my main culprit. When I connected my phone directly to the projector using HDMI cable (intead of the Chromecast), everything works fine on both sources of mobile data. Hoping my new Chromecast fixes the issue

SandyReg
I plan to stick around
Is the Inseego an "unlocked" device? I'm seriously considering testing other carriers given the signal strength is so much lower.
Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation