cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB7 modem (Arris TG4482A) fan speed

krotki
I'm here a lot

Hello,
Yesterday I replaced my Hitron Coda 4582 with XB7 modem and noticed that fan inside the XB7 running at full speed all the time, modem is worm not hot, the spinning fan it's very loud, I can hear it in the next room. Restarting modem doesn't help.
Is there anything I can do with that or I have to replace it

***EDITED LABELS***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: XB7 modem (Arris TG4482A) fan speed

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not sure what to suggest here.  This is the first complaint that I have seen about the XB7 fan.  It's normal for these modems to run warm and that's why they all have internal fans that are running constantly; sometimes, so warm that users have found it concerning.  The Technicolor XB7 gateways (CGM4331ROG) that I have seen have very quiet fans.  We have not seen many posts here from users reporting that they even have the XB7-A variant.

I don't know how many XB7-A vs XB7-T gateways are out in the field but I have never seen any complaints about the TG4482A here.  Make sure that nothing could be blocking the fan intake at the bottom of the gateway, and avoid placing it in a location that is in direct sunlight.

If you really find the fan noise bothersome, you can try contacting Rogers and ask them to swap it.  However, the next one that you get will also have a fan that will also be running all the time.

krotki
I'm here a lot
Thanks,
I spoke with someone who have xb7 but T version (Cgm4331com) and he said the fan is running but very quiet, mine is like a rocket, full speed all the time, I can hear it in my bedroom (modem seats in living room), only after restarting it's quiet for 2-3 min. than full speed, it's louder than my PC with 5 - 140mm fans...
I already requested modem swap (requested cgm4331com), technician coming after 4pm. today,

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@krotki  If you have a moment, could you please try running a speed test over Wi-Fi before and after swapping your gateway?  I'm curious to see if there is any noticeable difference in Wi-Fi performance between the XB7-A, which uses an Intel chipset internally compared to the XB7-T, which uses Broadcom chips.

Thanks!

krotki
I'm here a lot
I'm not be at home probably during the swap..
I can ask my wife to do that, I can't promise anything, but I'll try

krotki
I'm here a lot
The technician replaced the modem ( it's quiet now ), but he said they don't have CGM4331COM, each day they receiving batch of modems and usually all Arris, even when they requesting CGM4331COM the Rogers sending Arris....

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@krotki wrote:
The technician replaced the modem ( it's quiet now ), but he said they don't have CGM4331COM, each day they receiving batch of modems and usually all Arris, even when they requesting CGM4331COM the Rogers sending Arris....

There's nothing wrong with the Arris XB7.  I tried to get one of these when they first became available so that I could compare it to my parents' Technicolor XB7.  (I think the XB7-A may actually have the better Wi-Fi 6 chipset.). I got an XB7-T because that is what the tech had in his van.

I'm happy to hear that your new gateway is quiet.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation