cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi extenders

gordow
I plan to stick around

I would like a fairly inexpensive wifi extender or booster to use with Ignite.
I have a camera set up in my garden and the signal is pretty weak, there is no way to move the router so there's a more direct signal to the outdoors.
What exactly should I be looking at to buy?
Thank you

*Added Labels*

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Wifi extenders

RogersCorey

Good afternoon @gordow!

If you're looking for a WiFi extender, we offer WiFi Pods for $5/mo.

FAQs about Ignite WiFi Pods - Rogers

Should you be interested, please feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can put in the order for you. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I purchased a PowerLine AdaptorTP-Link TL-WPA8630 kit, 5 years ago and it works well for me. It seems to max out at about 100 Mbps at the distant location, but that's fine for my use.  I use it for several devices at the "far end" - a TV (using Ethernet), my IgniteTV box (using Ethernet), a computer (using WiFi) and some other wireless devices when I'm in the basement.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630-kit/

There are newer models available, however, do not believe the specs since they are under optimum conditions, which do not exist in the far reaches of most homes.

gordow
I plan to stick around
I was looking at either the TP Link AC750 or the TP Link AC1200, would either of these work?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

...depends on your home and proper placement of the device.  Purchase the device from somewhere with a good return policy.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gordow wrote:
I was looking at either the TP Link AC750 or the TP Link AC1200, would either of these work?

These REs should work.  I am generally not a fan of range extenders.  An RE fine if you just need to provide connectivity for specific devices.  However, if you will also be using the RE to provide connectivity for your mobile devices in your backyard as well, you will not get seamless roaming (network connections will drop when the device hops between the gateway and the RE).  You will also see devices appearing in HomeConnect's device list multiple times, depending on whether they are connected directly to the gateway with their actual MAC address or with a virtual MAC address when connected via the RE.

Ignite Pods are generally a better option.  However, Pods are problematic if you require separate network names for the 2.4 and 5 GHz network bands, so that you can control which band a device will connect to.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation