cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access specific website on home WiFi but it works via mobile data

Test22
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I am using Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem-XB6. I can access any website, except my own website. 🤷‍♀️

I tried to access the site on all of the devices I have connected to the WiFi: PC, MacBook Pro, Samsung Galaxy, iPhone. None can access the website.

I used my mobile data on Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone and the site loaded almost instantaneously. 

I used the USB tethering on my Galaxy and connected the PC to the Internet through mobile data. Using the same browser (Chrome) on my PC I was able to access the site without any problems. Obviously, it's not a cache problem. Flushed the DNS, just in case.

I did restart the Gateway but that didn't help. I then reset the Gateway to its factory settings but that didn't solve the problem either.  

Called Rogers who said that they were unable to pinpoint the cause.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Unable to access specific website on home WiFi but it works via mobile data

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Test22 check for parental controls or high security levels running on the modem.  Disable Parental Control if its enabled and/or try a lower security level.  One of those should work.  My guess is that the website that you're attempting to navigate to has been blacklisted by someone, and as a result, the parental controls or security level won't permit you to navigate to the site thru the modem.  I believe that you're able to request a change in the website status thru the moderators at @CommunityHelps.  Don't quote me on that one however.

Test22
I've been here awhile

Thanks, Datalink. I checked the parental controls. Nothing there... no blacklisted websites. 

@Test22 you won't see the sites on the modem's 'UI.  I might not be using the correct terminology here.  I suspect with that modem that there would be a parental control of some type that is enabled or disabled, depending on the customer, same with the security level.  Either one of those would invoke a different DNS address, which you probably can't see.  It would cause the same result as using a family friendly DNS, which would block out objectionable sites.  That site list would be based on a combination of website lists from various companies and blacklisting services.  All it takes is one complaint from someone, and a benign web site ends up as a blacklisted site.  So, the solution is to disable whatever parental site level might be enabled or drop the security level if its not set to a minimal level.  

Hope that explains the problem here.  The filtering is most likely DNS based.  The question is, how to turn off that DNS filtering....

Test22
I've been here awhile

Thank you, Datalink. I appreciate your input.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Question? Is this website something your hosting internally?  Like something hosted off a computer in your house?

A) Obviously you would have port forwarding enabled if you were able to access it via the mobile.

B) Last I checked, I dont think the rogers connections supported loopback? That you put in the external  IP address, and your not able to view it from internal.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation