cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address settings on XB8?

btrthnvr
I'm here a lot

Hi, I'm new with Rogers using 1.5 Gigabit internet and currently have Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) modem router. How do I set a static IP address for one of the family computers at home? We would like each members of the family able to connect to that computer folder using home WiFi connection from any device including smartphones (via SMB). Also will the router let me add VPN settings? Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Static IP address settings on XB8?

RogersZia

Hi @btrthnvr,

Welcome to the Community!

Please refer to our Resident Expert @-G-'s post here for more info.

RogersZia

Re: Static IP address settings on XB8?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@btrthnvr wrote:

Hi, I'm new with Rogers using 1.5 Gigabit internet and currently have Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) modem router. How do I set a static IP address for one of the family computers at home? We would like each members of the family able to connect to that computer folder using home WiFi connection from any device including smartphones (via SMB).

I think what you are asking is how to configure a reserved IP address that a computer can obtain via DHCP.

I do this by logging into the Ignite Gateway with a web browser.  (The default username and password are "admin" and "password".). Once you are logged in, go to "Connected Devices > Devices" and click the "Add Device with Reserved IP" button.  Enter the hostname, MAC address and IP address, save it, and you are done.  Now reboot the device to confirm that it obtains its reserved IP address.

I believe that you can also do this through the HomeConnect app (by editing the device info in your list of connected devices and assigning it a reserved IP address?) but I don't use the app for this and do not recall the exact procedure.  Sorry.

Also will the router let me add VPN settings? Thanks.

No, there are no VPN-related settings or configuration options of any kind.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation