POP3 email issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: POP3 email issues

I tested all of your IPs and they all failed. See image below (make take some time to become viewable since it needs mod approval.)

Wormly.png

I tested a couple of different URLs - say from this website and they didn't fail.  I'm not sure I'm seeing what you want me to see since I haven't used wormly before.

I Plan to Stick Around

I couldn't open your image to see the test results.

I just access www.wormly.com, then select Tools, and then click on the Test a PoP3 Mail Server link.  I enter the hostname: pop.nl.rogers.com, select SSL - Yes, and then click Test this POP3 Server a number of times.  You should get most results okay but you will also get failures as indicated below. To isolate which server is at failing, substitute each  of the five  IP addresses that I listed instead of the hostname. Be aware you may get locked out after multiple attempts since this is a free (but limited) website, unless you subscribe.

Let me know what results you get.

Thank you

Resolving hostname...
Connecting...
ERROR: Couldn't connect to POP3 service
POP3 test failed.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had just put the IP addresses you posted into the main page of wormly and all those IPs failed.

After doing what you indicated in the post above (with the URL), I do see that it fails about every 5-6 times.

Using the IPs, the one you say (74.6.137.75) fails, the others work.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for verifying what I have been seeing  when I run the www.wormly.com website.  As you can see, one server (74.6.137.75) of the available five never passes the POP3 test. So far no one from Rogers has picked up on our posts and I don't know if they will.  You indicated that you were not seeing any issues when you use POP3.  Do you know what the domain name is for your POP3 e-mails?  In my initial posting, I noted the three domains that I have identified as sharing the same five POP3 e-mail servers. As I mentioned, I get the same fail pattern if I test any of these three domains for POP3. If you have a different POP3 domain, could you run it on www.wormly.com to see if you get any failures? I have tried to get information from Rogers about other PoP3 domains but to no avail.

Are you on Ignite TV? I wondered if I switched to Ignite, would that changeover route me to a different group of servers. If you are already  on Ignite, that might explain why you are not having failures on POP3.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

By domain name do you mean "pop.mail.yahoo.com"?  I checked that URL on Wormly and it's fine.

I doubt if anyone will take any action based on this thread alone.  You may wish to try PMing a mod here to see if they can help or initiate something.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

I am not on Ignite.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, pop.mail.yahoo.com is a domain.  I just tested it on 'wormly' and it also worked every time for me.  I went back to my Rogers Modem diagnostics and pinged your domain name but it does not show that server 74.6.137.75 is being selected. However, I can see pings hit the other four servers. That is why pop.mail.yahoo.com works every time now on the 'wormly' website.

There is no way to know if someone removed it from the pop.mail.yahoo.com selection list, or if it is not being selected because access traffic is light.  However, I retested my domain pop.nl.rogers.com and I still get failures every 5-6 attempts.  The fact that your domain works (assuming the server is still available to you) could indicate access traffic is light enough that  the  sequence is not advancing to the point  where it gets selected. I don't know how access selection is configured in the 'cable' world but I worked for 40 years in telecommunications (telephone networks) and similar issues occurred if oddball selection sequences were misused.

I'll try your domain again tomorrow to see if the 'dud' server comes back into your selection. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I pinged your domain 'pop.mail.yahoo.com' again today and it never showed any access to the POP3 server 74.6.137.75. Maybe I was wrong when I initially said that server was part of the same pool as pop.nl.rogers.com and broadband.rogers.com.  The other four servers are definitely part of the same pool.

I also found another way to test the servers on www.whatismyip.com/port scanner/. I tested all of the servers individually for the POP3 access (port 995) and they all showed the port as being OPEN except IP 74.6.137.75 which always says CLOSED. So that explains why is won't connect to POP3.  I decided to  try Roger's Internet Tech Support again, but I didn't get anyone who had any knowledge of how to report a network (server) problem.  They wanted to go through the entire set-up process again but I declined. I've done that so often I have it memorized.

I even tried contacting  Yahoo to see if they have any way to check the server but ended up on what turned out to be a scam site listing a toll-free number.  The person told me they were part of Yahoo and asked me some "security questions". I intentionally answered one question incorrectly.   He accepted the answer so I knew then, it was not the real deal.  When I told him I knew he was a scammer, he got quite upset and hung up on me! I will keep digging to see if I can find a way to talk to the network managers at Rogers. I will post details if I have any success.