cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob Help - Setting up an Asus AC-3200 as a Wireless AP

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

I have a spare Asus router lying around and would like to use it to extend my Wifi out to the car.  How do I set it up with the CODA?  From what I've garnered so far, I need to change the Asus to AP mode in the settings but apart from that I'm lost as to how to connect the Asus to the CODA so I can get into settings to do this.

Any and all help is appreciated.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Noob Help - Setting up an Asus AC-3200 as a Wireless AP

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X-Nemesis  in its original configuration the router will be operating full router mode.  If you simply connect to the router with a pc (ethernet is preferred) you can determine the address of the router by running an 

ipconfig/all 

... command at a command prompt.  Look for the gateway IP address in the data.  Then use that to log into the modem.  Set the modem up as required in full router mode and when you have everything set, flip the modem into Access Point mode.  That setting is located in the ADMIN .... OPERATION MODE tab.  When that setting is selected and the change is saved, reboot the router and then connect it to the rest of the network as you would normally.  This is assuming that you have the CODA-4582 running in Gateway mode.

I believe that the default IP address for the router is 192.168.50.1, so you could try that first, or run a router reset and then you should be able to use that IP address to log into the router.  

Your router is a far superior router compared to the 4582.  Why use the 4582 to run the network instead of the router?  Just curious.

With the router in Access Point mode, to log back into it I'd disconnect it from the rest of the network and then restart the router, pull the power and plug it back in again to force a restart.  Then use the ipconfig/all command from a connected pc to determine the gateway IP address again.  It might be 192.168.50.1, but, that's just a guess.  It would make sense to revert to the default as it wouldn't have a modem or router ahead of it to issue an IP address.

The change to Access Point mode should disable the firewall and DHCP server, as the modem or router ahead of the Access Point will be supplying those for the network.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X-Nemesis  in its original configuration the router will be operating full router mode.  If you simply connect to the router with a pc (ethernet is preferred) you can determine the address of the router by running an 

ipconfig/all 

... command at a command prompt.  Look for the gateway IP address in the data.  Then use that to log into the modem.  Set the modem up as required in full router mode and when you have everything set, flip the modem into Access Point mode.  That setting is located in the ADMIN .... OPERATION MODE tab.  When that setting is selected and the change is saved, reboot the router and then connect it to the rest of the network as you would normally.  This is assuming that you have the CODA-4582 running in Gateway mode.

I believe that the default IP address for the router is 192.168.50.1, so you could try that first, or run a router reset and then you should be able to use that IP address to log into the router.  

Your router is a far superior router compared to the 4582.  Why use the 4582 to run the network instead of the router?  Just curious.

With the router in Access Point mode, to log back into it I'd disconnect it from the rest of the network and then restart the router, pull the power and plug it back in again to force a restart.  Then use the ipconfig/all command from a connected pc to determine the gateway IP address again.  It might be 192.168.50.1, but, that's just a guess.  It would make sense to revert to the default as it wouldn't have a modem or router ahead of it to issue an IP address.

The change to Access Point mode should disable the firewall and DHCP server, as the modem or router ahead of the Access Point will be supplying those for the network.

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

Powerline was a bust, can I use an Asus AC3200 to improve wireless signal in the basement?

Hi, so as the title indicates, I was trying out a powerline system but it caused way to much static noise through the PC speakers to be usable.

Is there a way to use my Asus AC3200 in the basement to achieve a better wireless signal from the CODA 4582 upstairs in the living room?

Using the wireless card in the PC nets me about 25Mb/s and while usable, I'd like to improve upon those speeds if possible.

Thanks

Hello, @X-Nemesis.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community, and I appreciate sharing your experience with the powerline adapter. 

Have you tried using your RT-AC3200 in AP mode?

As @Datalink wondered, you should try using RT-AC3200 in router mode instead of AP mode to see if your network throughput and performance improves. 

You can bridge your CODA-4582 and configure RT-AC3200 in wireless router mode, preferably with a new network name. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation