cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Signal at Preferred Coaxial Outlet

x86doom
I've been here awhile

Hi all,

I recently moved to a new unit that has two coaxial inputs. One next to the front door where all the cabling is done for the Ethernet Inputs in the walls around the unit. It appears that the main coaxial connector for my Rogers internet connection is in the bedroom which doesn’t make much sense to me. Therefore I have to put my Rogers Ignite Gateway there for connectivity. I tried using the coaxial cable next to the front door but it does not connect to the internet. Even after 10 minutes of waiting, so I called Rogers to send a technician to fix that issue for me because I would like to utilize Ethernet in my den instead of wifi. Their solution was to give me a really long coaxial cable to run from the bedroom to the kitchen and from the kitchen to run the Ethernet cables to the central switch next to the front door which makes no sense to me because it would create a nasty cable management issue for me around my unit. Their excuse to not fixing it was because they don’t want to come into my unit due to COVID but from my understanding the rewiring of the coaxial cables is something done outside? What can I do at this point? I would really like to make use of the Ethernet inputs around my unit...

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No Signal at Preferred Coaxial Outlet

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@x86doom  Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Do you have a utility closet where the cable and telephone services enter your unit?  If so, look for a coax cable that is connected to another using either a splitter or an F81 barrel connector, hopefully with another unconnected coax cable right next to it that leads to your other wall jack.  If you can't find it, ask your building manager.

Your Ethernet wall jacks are likely also fed from the same location, so that may turn out to be the place where you will actually want to place your modem (connected directly to the incoming cable feed) and an Ethernet switch.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: No Signal at Preferred Coaxial Outlet

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@x86doom  Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Do you have a utility closet where the cable and telephone services enter your unit?  If so, look for a coax cable that is connected to another using either a splitter or an F81 barrel connector, hopefully with another unconnected coax cable right next to it that leads to your other wall jack.  If you can't find it, ask your building manager.

Your Ethernet wall jacks are likely also fed from the same location, so that may turn out to be the place where you will actually want to place your modem (connected directly to the incoming cable feed) and an Ethernet switch.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation