cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Nokia Modem Alarm light flashes Red

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around

So yesterday my power went out in my basement the breaker flipped. So when this happened I flicked back on and went to bed. My girlfriend told me we didn't have internet all night. So when I'm standing over the modem, the green lights for Power and PON stay solid, and then Alarm flashes red, and Data flashes white(sometimes it doesn't flash at all) and power goes to an Orange colour, and it just keeps repeating, that's the Nokia modem, and the Rogers box just flashes a yellow light.(I'm using Fiber Optic) still no internet and it's 5pm. Technician can't come till Tuesday apparently.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Need help with Nokia Modem Alarm light flashes Red

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Theydontknow have you tried unplugging both Nokia Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and modem from the electrical socket and then plug them in after about 15 seconds or so.  That would force a restart/reboot for the ONT and modem. 

If that doesn't solve the problem, I would wonder if the ONT and modem are fried due to the circuit breaker tripping?

Do you happen to have a voltmeter on hand to check the voltage out of the wall socket?

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
Yes I have unfortunately already tried this method, I left them unplugged for about a good 15 minutes, and the same lights keep flickering in the same pattern. And they are plugged into the wall they weren't connected to a power bar, so that could be a possibility.

Have you tried moving them to another socket to see if they'll fire up.  The ONT won't be connected, but, it might prove or disprove if there is any issue with the voltage out of that wall socket.  Or, if you had an extension cord that was long enough to reach them, you could try running them off of another wall socket that isn't on the same circuit.

If you don't have a voltmeter on hand, that might provide some indication of the voltage out of the socket and whether or not there's a possible issue with that socket, or potentially the circuit breaker. 

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
So I don't have a long enough extension cord to try that method out at the moment. But I did try the sockets next to it with a power bar, and it was still the same result with lights being the same pattern and colours. And I do not have a volt meter so I can't try that option. The devices still turn on, just doesn't seem to work.

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
I have tried plugging in other devices like my tv and phone charger into the socket to see if it still works and it powers them. Tv turns on and phone charges.

Stumped !!  My guess would be that the ONT might be fried.  Possibly the modem as well, but, can't test that without the ONT up and running. 

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
Yeah it's okay I appreciate the help! Just going to have to wait till Tuesday for them to tell me what's going on.

Sorry 😞   Tuesday will be a long wait ....

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
Haha no worries sadly it is.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Theydontknow wrote:

So yesterday my power went out in my basement the breaker flipped. So when this happened I flicked back on and went to bed. My girlfriend told me we didn't have internet all night. So when I'm standing over the modem, the green lights for Power and PON stay solid, and then Alarm flashes red, and Data flashes white(sometimes it doesn't flash at all) and power goes to an Orange colour, and it just keeps repeating, that's the Nokia modem, and the Rogers box just flashes a yellow light.(I'm using Fiber Optic) still no internet and it's 5pm. Technician can't come till Tuesday apparently.

Normally, to "reset" the ONT, you should only need to (at most) power-cycle it.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever press the Reset button on the ONT?  I'm pretty sure that this will clear all the programming and prevent it from reconnecting to the OLT.  (That would also explain the lack of network connectivity, the Alarm light, and why everything otherwise would seem okay with the Power and PON lights on.)

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
I haven't tried the reset the button I didn't see one, I saw a power button so I tried that, but that did nothing either. When I get home I'll have to check for a reset button.

@Theydontknow wrote:
I haven't tried the reset the button I didn't see one, I saw a power button so I tried that, but that did nothing either. When I get home I'll have to check for a reset button.

I don't have FTTH in my area yet.  However, if I remember correctly, the Nokia XGS-PON ONT's have a recessed reset button that you can access with a pen tip or a paper clip.  If yours has one of these, DO NOT press it unless directed to do so by Rogers Tech Support.

Theydontknow
I plan to stick around
Okay just a question, since I already don't have internet what's the worse that could happen if I tried resetting it myself? Haha, I'm not going to, just wondering.
Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation