Charl1
I've been here awhile

No connection on my backyard

*** Edited Labels ***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Need Recommendation for Extending Wi-Fi to Backyard

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

Hi, my friend has his Rogers modem in his basement so that his XBox can be hardwired.  He is able to run Ethernet from there to the outside of the house.  What's a cheap and easy solution for him to get WIFI into his backyard?

Access point, Extender?

RogersTony

Hello, @Charl1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how convenient it would be to be able to connect to Wi-Fi in your backyard. 

Depending on the location of your modem it may be possible to connect to Wi-Fi in your backyard. The interior and especially the exterior walls of your home greatly degrades the Wi-Fi signal. If the modem is located closer to the wall that faces your backyard you may not have any issues connecting to Wi-Fi in your backyard. If the modem is not located on that side of the home and if it is inside a basement as well then you may not have a strong enough signal to reach the backyard.

Wi-Fi Pods should be able to help you extend the range of the Wi-Fi in your home by using a mesh system. Are you currently using the Pods? if yes, you can reposition them to boost the signal to your backyard.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Charl1
I've been here awhile

No wifi Pods if you could give il appreciate that..

We can certainly assist you with this. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started on this for you.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If your friend has Ignite Internet, the simplest solution would be to contact Rogers and obtain an Ignite WiFi Pod to extend his Wi-Fi coverage.  They are not rated for outdoor use but you can plug a Pod into an indoor wall socket at the rear of the home and that will improve Wi-Fi connectivity in the backyard.

Another option would be to try moving the Rogers modem upstairs and test Wi-Fi coverage throughout the home and in the backyard.  If that works, then leave the modem upstairs and run an Ethernet cable from there to the basement for the XBox.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Are you on Ignite? Request pods and get a mesh network if you are.
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation