Intermittent Disconnects CGN3ACSMR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent Disconnects CGN3ACSMR

Welp. Good idea. Completely forgot that.

Should be gone now.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you  Smiley Happy

Your cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios are fine.  I wouldn't expect to see any issues with those levels unless there are very fast transient conditions occurring which those tables won't show.  Based on your comments I suspect that this is only a wifi issue, so, a little fine tuning and examining the wifi environment might resolve the problems.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Where do you want to start Smiley Very Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First thing to do is to review the wifi encryption settings.  Set those as indicated, or simply check to see if you already have those set as indicated.  Reboot the modem if you do have to change anything.  

After that, consider downloading and installing InSSIDer.  Have a look to see who else you're competing with for clear channels and adjust your wifi channels if necessary.  You might come to the conclusion that there is no good "clear" channel range.  Thats the situation that I'm in, competing both of my immediate neighbors for the upper 5 Ghz channels, 149 to 161.  Despite the fact that we're all in that channel space, the wifi rate is still faster than running at the lower channel 36 range where there is less competition.  Thats due to the fact that the upper 5 Ghz channels can run at 1 watt, versus the 50 or 200 milli-watt limits on the lower channel range.  That limit depends on when the device was approved by Industry Canada.   Increased power levels in the upper range translate to increased signal levels and better signal to noise ratios.  

I Plan to Stick Around

For the WiFi encryption settings, am I missing something? You mentioned to set them as indicated but I don't see what you've indicated. Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, log into the modem and navigate to WIRELESS....BASIC SETTINGS....2.4G to start.  Each of those user selectable items, Wireless mode, Channel Bandwidth, Wireless Channel, etc, etc, have more than one selection available on the right hand side of the indicated item.  Go thru those settings, and match the selectable items in the modem drop down menu items to what I have indicated in my previous post.  That will ensure that the modem is operating with the highest level of encryption which can affect the data rate if not selected properly, and that the bandwidth is set to an appropriate setting.  

As an example, the Wireless Mode has more than one selection available.  My personal recommendation is to set that for:  802.11 n  unless you happen to know that you have old 802.11b or g  devices that you still happen to use, in which case you would choose a mixed mode, b/g/n.   

When that page is complete, save the changes and switch to the 5G tab and repeat the process.  Save the changes.  

If your settings for each item are already set as I have indicated in that list, thats good news.  If you go from using TKIP to AES, thats even better news.  

So, it should be a fairly simple process to check each user selectable item against the list that I provided.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Appreciate your help. I'll go through these once I get the chance and let you know of the outcome. Probably by tomorrow afternoon.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Smiley Happy  no problem.  It might only take a couple of minutes to scan through those settings when you're logged into the modem and looking at the 2.4 and 5G tabs.  If they're set to a different value, change the selection to what I have indicated.  To set the channels to something that would be productive, you would need to have inSSIDer loaded on a laptop and have the application up and running so that you know which channels are crowded with users and which are open or less crowded.  Won't know until you have the application running.  The display is pretty straight forward to understand, shows 2.4 GHz band on the lower left, 5 Ghz band on the lower right, with all of the networks that the laptop can detect from nearby modems and routers displayed in the appropriate area.  You might be surprised by the number of users nearby if you've never looked at it before. 

I'm Here A Lot

Hello - I have a similar problem where my internet connection drops and then reconnects. The re connection usually happens within a minute. However, the drops are quite frequent ranging from 10-25 per day making it a frustrating browsing experience. What could be wrong with my connection?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@maildc16, drops for wifi, wired or both?

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS  .... DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the signal level table, from the "Downstream Overview" all the way to the bottom and paste that into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the table.  

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation