cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Xbox Lag

Surge74
I plan to stick around

I am at my wit’s end trying to figure out why latency is about 2X higher on the Xbox Series X vs any other device. I’m connected directly to the Ignite (1000Gbps) via Ethernet Cat 8 (brand new cable). 

The modem is in bridge mode and is also connected to an Eero 6E station. I tried with the Xbox connected to the Eero and latency was about 10ms worse. I’m routinely seeing ~50ms when Speedtest on another device, connected over Wifi is in the low 20s.

***Edited Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ignite Xbox Lag

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Surge74 wrote:

I am at my wit’s end trying to figure out why latency is about 2X higher on the Xbox Series X vs any other device. I’m connected directly to the Ignite (1000Gbps) via Ethernet Cat 8 (brand new cable). 

The modem is in bridge mode and is also connected to an Eero 6E station. I tried with the Xbox connected to the Eero and latency was about 10ms worse. I’m routinely seeing ~50ms when Speedtest on another device, connected over Wifi is in the low 20s.

For starters, if "Bridge Mode" is enabled on your Ignite gateway, you can only have one device (which should be a router) connected to an Ethernet port.  Rogers will only allow two devices to obtain a public IP address; one of those will be the Ignite gateway itself (even if it is in bridge mode, it still has services running internally that require IP connectivity) and the other will be your router... and anything else will cause all devices to "fight" to get IP connectivity and cause the other devices to intermittently lose connectivity.

The Ignite gateway is a fast device and can move data at gigabit rates.  Have you tried leaving Bridge Mode disabled on the Ignite gateway, disabling WiFi on the gateway, putting your eero mesh into bridge/AP mode, and connecting your Xbox to the Ignite gateway via Ethernet?

Surge74
I plan to stick around

Thanks. Yes, the setup I have used is exactly that:

- Ignite in bridge mode with wifi off

- Xbox connected to Eero base station via Ethernet

I can ping the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) via an iPad on WiFi and get latency in the high teens/low 20s.

Using the Xbox settings speed test, the same DNS is in the 40s. In game it’s 50-60 ms. 

A friend also in Toronto (using Bell) and the same Xbox X console gets 25-30 ms in game.

Surge74
I plan to stick around

Seems like the answer is just that cable has higher latency than fibre optic…

Can someone comment on expected latency with cable? The best I see is about 18ms. I think that’s about 2X slower than the best on fibre.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Surge74  Hi.  Thanks for clarifying your current configuration.  It's fine.

Regarding latency, I can confirm that it is higher than it has been in the past.  Looking at some old stats, I used to see ping times to 8.8.8.8 averaging 11 ms, and now I am seeing average RTTs of 23 ms.

It's hard to say what "expected" ping times are because they can vary.  Rogers does not provide any performance guarantees for residential Internet but, if I remember correctly, they consider anything under 100 ms to be acceptable.

Surge74
I plan to stick around
Yes, I’m seeing similar ping times as you on 8.8.8.8. Unfortunately, this is about 2X higher than another Toronto resident is seeing with Bell.
Not trying to turn this into a Rogers vs Bell debate, but it is important to note differences in latency.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On Rogers Speedtest I just got 12ms, jitter 3ms on my Mac Mini connected via Ethernet.

I got 13ms & 2ms on my iPhone SE2020 via WiFi.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest/

Surge74
I plan to stick around
Jitter > 0 is not great. I get 0 jitter every time.

Surge74
I plan to stick around
Is there a way to shut off the Firewall completely? With the modem in Bridge mode to the Eero, the Eero has its own firewall. No need for 2 firewalls, I think?

I can see my Rogers firewall is set to Low, but don’t see how to change it.

Surge74
I plan to stick around

Actually, having the XBox and the router connected to the Rogers modem gives the best performance. I don’t see any evidence of devices “fighting” to get IP connectivity. Latency is still not where it should be, but it’s the lowest when connected this way.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation