What is an acceptable DB signal strength signal on Rogers Ignite service

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem Signal Strength

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LemDot  with any modem and any ISP, no matter what make or model modem you have, you're looking for the following:

Downstream QAM channels (1 to 32):  Signal level:  0 dBmV  is the target signal level

Signal to noise ratio:  36 to 40 dB

Modems have an advertised Docsis operating range of +/- 15 dBmV, but, historically, on the Rogers network, if you're outside of +/- 6 to 7 dBmV, you will see problems of some type with your internet service.  

Upstream QAM channels: Signal level:  36 to 40 dB is the normal range

The upstream levels can range upwards from there, from 40 to 51 dBmV.  A maximum of 51 dBmV for three or four channel upstream operation is stated the DOCSIS spec, however Rogers uses 52 dBmV for some reason.  By that point, the modem will start to shut down one QAM channel at a time, in order to operate within the maximum power output envelope of the modem.  If you're in that situation you would know it as both downstream and upstream speeds will drop.  There is a DOCSIS power level extension which goes up to 57 (?) dBmV, however I don't believe that Rogers uses that power level extension.

Fwiw, I haven't specified the OFDM signal levels as they will depend to a degree on the bandwidth of the entire OFDM channel in operation.  However, the signal levels for those OFDM channels should not be too far off of the target levels for the QAM channels.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem Signal Strength

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LemDot  with any modem and any ISP, no matter what make or model modem you have, you're looking for the following:

Downstream QAM channels (1 to 32):  Signal level:  0 dBmV  is the target signal level

Signal to noise ratio:  36 to 40 dB

Modems have an advertised Docsis operating range of +/- 15 dBmV, but, historically, on the Rogers network, if you're outside of +/- 6 to 7 dBmV, you will see problems of some type with your internet service.  

Upstream QAM channels: Signal level:  36 to 40 dB is the normal range

The upstream levels can range upwards from there, from 40 to 51 dBmV.  A maximum of 51 dBmV for three or four channel upstream operation is stated the DOCSIS spec, however Rogers uses 52 dBmV for some reason.  By that point, the modem will start to shut down one QAM channel at a time, in order to operate within the maximum power output envelope of the modem.  If you're in that situation you would know it as both downstream and upstream speeds will drop.  There is a DOCSIS power level extension which goes up to 57 (?) dBmV, however I don't believe that Rogers uses that power level extension.

Fwiw, I haven't specified the OFDM signal levels as they will depend to a degree on the bandwidth of the entire OFDM channel in operation.  However, the signal levels for those OFDM channels should not be too far off of the target levels for the QAM channels.  

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation