cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Installation for New Build House

Victorkama
I've been around

Hi,

We are moving to the new build house next week and attended a Pre-Delivery Inspection today and noted a bunch of open cable in the garage next to the main power panel and upon enquiry, the agent told me Rogers need to fix "something" to this open cable in order for me to get internet in the house. The house was fully wired inside and not sure how and what need to be fixed to this open cables in order for me to get the internet in the house. Can somebody help me with this

IMG_0978 Internet Cable1.jpg

*** Edited Labels ***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ignite installation for New build house

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Victorkama first question, is this a new development or an existing neighbourhood?  If its a new development, there's a good chance that the developer has signed an exclusive deal with Rogers or Bell, so, the first question to ask would go to the developer, "who's the internet service provider in this development, Rogers, Bell or both?".  

You should be able to call both Rogers and Bell Customer Service, and ask if service is available at the house.  You would need to provide the specific address of the house.  

The image which can now been seen has RG-6 cable and Cat-5e ethernet.  If that is entering the garage from the outside wall that suggests Rogers cable service via the white RG-6 cable and Bell's DSL/VDSL service via the blue Cat-5e cable is available. 

For Rogers the choices could be Cable or possibly Fibre to the Home.  You would have to check with Rogers to determine if fibre is available at your location.

For Bell the choices might be DSL/VDSL (telephone line) or possibly Fibre.  Same question to Bell, what available, DSL/VDSL or possibly fibre.

In either case, a tech would have to finish the required work for the install.  

For Rogers Cable, that would require connecting the home cable at the local tap, which would be located in a nearby pedestal, or possibly at the nearest utility pole.  Then an external cable enclosure would be required to hold the cable ground.  That is usually mounted on the outside wall of the garage.  Inside, the tech would have to install a connector on the inbound cable, and install a modem and any tv set top boxes required to run the new Ignite TV service.  These tv set top boxes run via ethernet or wifi, so, if you don't have ethernet throughout the house, and you have poor wifi, depending on where the modem is located, you will need pods installed in the home.  

For Rogers fibre, the tech would have to complete the fibre installation, including a fibre optical network terminal (ONT), which then connects to a Rogers modem via RG-6 cable. 

For Bell's fibre service, the same, complete the fibre installation, which then connects directly to the modem as the modem is fibre fed.  

For Bell's DSL/VDSL service, the tech would install a filter which splits the telephone frequencies and internet data frequencies into two components.  That filter is installed on that inbound Cat-5e line, and is normally located inside of the home. 

In either case, the tech has to run a cable or fibre from the garage area to some point in the house to provide service, just a question of which one will be installed, DSL/VDSL, fibre or cable.

Ginger-K
I've been here awhile

We moved to a new build in March and went through a lot to finally get the modem set up in the garage.  Our house actually got pre-wired but the technician said they cannot drill the hole during pandemic and things will have to be done externally.  We totally understand and the solution was to have the cable run from the grey box on the side of the house to the front yard through to the garage. We were told not to use the garage door as the fiber optic cable will break if open or close too often. Six months later we still couldn't get anyone to complete the installation while all other trades are starting to go inside the house to work as soon as the province moved to current stage. To my surprise my next door neighbor who moved in later were successful in getting their wifi set up properly inside the house.  Winter is coming and I would like to know if the cable will survive lying on the ground in snowy days.  Signal from current set up has not been stable from time to time. Be grateful if someone can advise. Thank you so much.

Hello, @Ginger-K

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can imagine how frustrating it is having to deal with an incomplete installation for the last 6 months. We would like to take a look at this for you to see what can be done to complete the installation properly.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation