cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep lagging during gaming

ToiletWif1
I'm here a lot

I keep lagging while I'm gaming. It's been going on for the past month and it's getting out of hand. I use to get 30-50ms now it randomly shoots up to 500-900ms. I'm currently on the 1.5gb plan with the xb7 router. I use them it bridge mode with the google pro mesh system with ethernet net into my computer. I can stream videos in any quality and it won't buffer just happens when I'm gaming.

*Added Labels*

8 REPLIES 8

Re: I keep lagging during gaming

RogersZia

Good evening!

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I understand how inconvenient connection issues can be. Do you experience lagging issues on a specific game or is it with more than one game?

Have you tried to see if a wired connection helps improve the experience? 

Please keep us posted!

RogersZia

Hey,

I pretty much lag in every single game I play no matter the time of day. I'm currently wired into one of the pods.

Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ToiletWif1 wrote:
I pretty much lag in every single game I play no matter the time of day. I'm currently wired into one of the pods.

Quite a few people have reported issues with high latency and jitter.  It may be due to your local fibre node being overloaded or due to ongoing problems with new next-gen equipment that Rogers is upgrading to.

Rogers has a help article with tips for troubleshooting latency.  See here for more info.  However, please also read following posts, including my own, on how to interpret the ping and traceroute output to pinpoint where the latency (and latency spikes and jitter) may be coming from.

Regarding your comment, "I can stream videos in any quality and it won't buffer just happens when I'm gaming.", that's not surprising.  Streaming services don't tend to be affected by high latency, and tend to function well even under adverse network conditions.  However, do you use Zoom for video conferencing, and do you see any problems with apps, such as that one, that are sensitive to latency and jitter?

ToiletWif1
I'm here a lot

Hey,

This is what I got for my ping test this morning.

Ping statistics for 172.217.165.4:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 241ms, Average = 34ms

This is what I got for Traceroute 

Tracing route to www.google.com [142.251.41.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 192.168.86.1
2 20 ms 17 ms 26 ms 99.245.4.1
3 17 ms 22 ms 17 ms 24.156.137.193
4 23 ms 20 ms 16 ms 3032-cgw01.wlfdle.rmgt.net.rogers.com [209.148.232.37]
5 * 20 ms 17 ms 209.148.235.214
6 23 ms 17 ms 18 ms 72.14.216.54
7 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms 74.125.244.145
8 16 ms 73 ms 21 ms 216.239.49.189
9 26 ms 25 ms 103 ms yyz12s08-in-f4.1e100.net [142.251.41.36]

Trace complete.

In regards to "do you use Zoom for video conferencing" I don't use that but i do tend to use discord for calls which is fine.

Hey @ToiletWif1,

A warm welcome to the Community and thanks for the details of your ping test and traceroute. 👌 I'm going to tag a few of our super helpful Resident Experts that may be able to shed some light on the lagging issues you've been plagued with. 

@-G-, @Datalink, @Gdkitty

Regards,

RogersJo 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ToiletWif1 With my 1.5 Gigabit service, I see ping RTTs in the 20 - 30 ms range.  With Rogers latest network upgrades, it's not uncommon to see random latency spikes approaching 100 ms, sometimes as high as 250ms, or for the network to randomly drop traffic for several seconds at a time.

It's also possible that your Google Wifi pro could also be introducing additional latency.

If you are trying to pin down the cause of performance issues while gaming, I would advise disabling Bridge Mode and connecting your gaming system directly to an Ethernet port on the Ignite Gateway.

Hey,

As per "I would advise disabling Bridge Mode and connecting your gaming system directly to an Ethernet port on the Ignite Gateway." Unfortunately that doesn't work for me because my modem is down in my basement that was where the Rogers connection was when we got it. While I have my work/gaming station up about 2 stories. That's why I use the mesh system.

Gaming via WiFi is not ideal and using a mesh system will introduce additional latency that can't be mitigated against.

Is it at all possible to test a direct Ethernet connection temporarily? I understand your modem is in the basement but could you temporarily setup down there for a night with a direct Ethernet connection to the modem just to see if the lag persists?

If a direct connection fixes it, then my next suggestion would be to have the modem moved professionally upstairs, closer to your gaming rig so that you can directly connect.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation