cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending WiFi Range

dstate
I've been around

Need to extend wifi into the basement? Router is upstairs? Any recommendations?

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Extending WiFi Range

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1.  Router or modem is upstairs? Or possibly both. 

2.  Are you looking to extend the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz network or both?

3.  Just for some clarity, can you specify if you're using a router for wifi purposes at the present time, or using the modem for wifi?

4.  If it is the modem, what modem do you have?  The product sticker is either on the back or the bottom of the modem.

5.  If you have the Ignite TV service, using an XB6 or XB7 modem, are you using pods as well?

PCao
I plan to stick around

Router or WiFi Extender: What Is the Best Option?

My home is a 2-storey + basement. My Rogers CGN3ACSMR modem is in the basement, its wifi range is weak (but really weak), barely reaching the 2nd floor. On the 2nd floor, WiFi Netspot app shows 2 bars for the 2.4Ghz and 1 bar only on the 5GHz. I have a 75 Mbps plan.

Without considering the price into the equation, is it better to use a 3rd party wifi extender installed in the centre of main floor (I do currently have a wireless D-Link DAP-1720), or a 3rd party 4-stream WiFi-5 router installed in the centre of main floor & connected in bridge mode to the rogers modem in the basement via a 50-ft Cat6 ethernet cable.?  I plan to use the extender or router for their wireless range capabilities only.

I do not care so much about security, privacy or firewall, I only care about wifi speed, performance, stability and strength. There is nothing more annoying or more embarassing than having a dropped internet during a work related Zoom presentation.

thank you in advance for your inputs. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PCao wrote:

Router or WiFi Extender: What Is the Best Option?

In my opinion, neither.  If your Internet connectivity is stable but your Wi-Fi is not, get yourself a business-grade Wi-Fi access point.  Disable Wi-Fi on your Rogers gateway and use the AP for Wi-Fi connectivity.  Something like this is available on Amazon and goes on sale from time-to-time for $80 - $90.  (If you are reading the literature, don't worry about the Omada or the Omada Cloud SDN stuff; that is for more complex setups with multiple Access Points)  If you want to go for an upgrade, I also saw a TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 business AP on sale for around $150.

With these, you have full control over Wi-Fi and can manage a single-AP configuration using a web browser, like you would a router.  You can see the signal strength and data rates of any device that connects to your Wi-Fi network.  You can identify the devices with bad connectivity, that contribute to making your Wi-Fi slow and unstable, and can also confirm that critical devices on your Wi-Fi network also have good connectivity.  You can't get that kind of control with consumer networking gear.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation