cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed e-mails (From Cogeco Customers?)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have two issues with a friend who is with Cogeco.  Most of the e-mails I receive from them encounter a huge delay before they get to my webmail.  (I can see when the e-mails arrive on Webmail and when they are sent). The delay is often hours, sometimes as much as 1.5 days.

The same e-mail address often ends up in my spam folder (also often delayed by hours or days) despite it being a legitimate e-mail.  I marked it as "not spam" and also put in a filter so that the e-mail address would go to my inbox.  It does now go to my inbox on one of our e-mail accounts (we have 3 with Rogers), however, the other two e-mail accounts still have the messages ending up in the spam folder despite having filters.  This is the only "non-spam" that ends up in my spam folder.  All the other e-mails that end up in the spam folder are real spam, but I only get 1-2 of those per month, at most, often none, so the Rogers/Yahoo spam algorithm seems to work very well.

I check my spam folder in Webmail about once a week, but that's a pretty long time when someone sends e-mail expecting to hear back in a day or two.  E-mails that go to the webmail spam folder don't end up in my Outlook client on my computer, which is what I use unless I'm travelling.

I've told this friend about the delays, about ending up in spam, and to use the one e-mail address that seems to get to me, but often delayed.  Anyone else encounter delays with Cogeco (or other specific provider) customers?

(I recall that there is a workaround so that you can have all spam directed to your inbox instead via a filter, but I'd rather not do that, preferring to find a solution for this one friend). 

Of course we could text as an option for short messages, but that costs me a bit on my PAYGo if my phone is not on WiFi at the time of the text.

Edit - I have now also added this person as a contact (in Webmail) and marked the messages in the spam folder as "not spam" in all 3 e-mail addresses.  Perhaps Yahoo will "see/learn" this and the spam issue will be resolved.  We'll see about the delays....   As stated before, I normally use Outlook client for my e-mails.

*** Edited Labels *** 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Delayed e-mails (From Cogeco Customers?)

RogersTony

Hello, @57

Thanks so much for all of your many contributions in our Community! 😃

I know how annoying it can be to experience such long delays when sending an Email, it really should be an almost instant process.

We have not received any reports of email delays to Cogeco customers. Has anyone else in the Community noticed these types of issues? I am hoping the changes to your settings will have resolved this matter. 

Keep the Community posted on the results!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:  I know how annoying it can be to experience such long delays when sending an Email, it really should be an almost instant process.

The problem is not with sending, but receiving.  During the past few days my Cogeco friend and I have performed numerous tests and I believe the issue is with Rogers/Yahoo receiving.  (Sending works fine).  I have a gmail account and the Cogeco messages came through right away on it while the Rogers messages are MIA.

I see that other people are having issues with disappearing e-mails...  See link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Emails-Disappearing-from-Inbox/m-p/450233#M57710

So to clarify this issue, if you send him an email from your Rogers account to his Cogeco account he receives it but if he sends you an email from his Cogeco account to your Rogers account, the delivery fails?

It is entirely possible this issue exists on Cogeco's outgoing server but we can still attempt to escalate this regardless.

Please PM us @RogersHelps so we can begin the escalation. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey :  I'm doing some more testing on this and will ask other Cogeco people to try sending e-mails to my Rogers and my gmail e-mail addresses to compare.

I did share a concern over the weekend and received a call this morning from the OOTP. Apparently there was an issue with Rogers/Yahoo servers from October 22 to October 27, and this has supposedly been resolved and as many e-mails as possible were "recovered". 

I have only received one out of approximately 10 e-mails from my Cogeco friend and it was delayed by 16 hours.  All the other e-mails from my Cogeco friend since October 25 are MIA.  Previous e-mails (October 17 to October 23) from this friend either were delayed by hours or days, or went into the Webmail spam folder (and delayed).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey wrote:

It is entirely possible this issue exists on Cogeco's outgoing server but we can still attempt to escalate this regardless.

I don't believe this to be the case as the same e-mails get to my gmail account instantly.  Also, Rogers has admitted to there being a recent issue (see post above). I can only hope it has been resolved and will do some more testing this week.

RogersYasmine

Hi @57,

We appreciate your troubleshooting the issue at your end to see if you can find a pattern with incoming Cogeco emails to your Rogers inbox. Hopefully, it has indeed been resolved. We are really curious to see how it goes, so please keep the Community posted!

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

@RogersYasmine wrote:  We appreciate your troubleshooting the issue at your end to see if you can find a pattern with incoming Cogeco emails to your Rogers inbox.

It's difficult to find a pattern.  The issue doesn't appear to be resolved.  Here are my results since October 17:  

- Some e-mails from my Cogeco friend were delayed a few hours.

- Some e-mails from her were delayed by 1.5 days.

- Some e-mails ended up in my Webmail spam folder and consequently didn't get to my computer Outlook client until I moved those to the Webmail inbox.  I usually only check spam once a week or so.

- Some e-mails are MIA.

- One e-mail from another Cogeco friend went to spam

- One e-mail that was sent on October 25 to my three Rogers e-mail addresses didn't get to me until today, October 29, 4 days later, but at least it wasn't sent to spam.  How can e-mails be delayed by 4 days?

- All of her e-mails to my gmail address  got there right away without issue.

- I haven't had any issues with any other e-mails (other friends, shopping confirmations, booking confirmations, etc)

There may be some sort of issue either with the Cogeco e-mail addresses sent to spam by Rogers/Yahoo (either totally missing or into my spam folder), or there may be some sort of incompatibility between Cogeco and Rogers.

My friend also sent some e-mails to several of her contacts (gmail, hotmail and sympatico) and those got through just fine.

In light of these issues over the past two weeks (and some temporary issues before that), I'm seriously considering migrating everything to gmail which always seems to work for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One more data point arrived this morning. I got an e-mail that was sent a couple of days ago.  It appears the e-mails are getting "hung up" somewhere and are dribbling into my Webmail one at a time.  I still have not detected any pattern.  Perhaps this "dribbling" is part of Rogers/Yahoo recovery process when they were having issues.

One thing that I do have is the "raw data" from the various e-mails.  Im not an expert and I can't really make sense of this raw data (other than to see sent times and the e-mail content) but if there's someone at Rogers that can read this and understand what has happened, I'd be happy to send the raw data to them. (sort of like an IP trace).

Hi @57!

My offer to investigate, troubleshoot and escalate this email issue still stands. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can begin the process.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's been a couple of weeks and this issue of delayed e-mails from my Cogeco friend seems to be resolved.  I had her send a test message yesterday and it came to me on time, without going into my Spam folder.  It appears that Rogers/Yahoo e-mail is working properly again.

It's a bit of a hollow victory because my friend and I now communicate using gmail since she no longer trusts my Rogers e-mail addresses.

Thanks to @CommunityHelps for their assistance in getting the issue escalated and resolved.  Every time I've contacted @CommunityHelps they have been most helpful.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation