cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Internet Early Cancellation Fee

Peter1124
I've been here awhile

This might be a long one so please bare with me. I will be out of town (Toronto) for a while so I called rogers to cancel my home internet and they told me I have to pay 42/month for the remaining 14 months which is 588. I did not know I had a contract with Rogers when i signed up (Ignite for business 100u) I just have two inquiries. The first one many might say it is my own fault, so I am prepared for any criticism. A good friend recommended me a Rogers sales person called Wilson. He told me he could get me a discounted Rogers business internet service for 69.99 a month. I took it and gave him my visa information along with my name and address etc. He never told me there is a contract. I never signed anything or told to read anything. And the plan is actually 59.99 a month. This is the part where I know people will criticize me for being careless. I know I should have asked him more about the product (is there a contract? is there a cancellation fee? are you human?) to avoid stuff like this. But honestly though, is this how Rogers expect their employees to perform? My next inquiry is more like a complaint. $588 to cancel an internet service. I am not going to elaborate on that since I think it is self explanatory. I am not sure if any Rogers representative would read this or could help me. I just came across this forum while searching on the web for help. Any help or guide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Business Internet Early Cancellation Fee

DavidPC
I plan to stick around

Internet cancellation fee is 50% of the non discount price, multiplied by the number of months left remaining in the term.

I would suggest you escalate to Office of the President for Small Business since you've been deliberately misled by a sales rep, if that is not successful, it's time to escalate to the CCTS.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/ 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RogersZia

Good evening @Peter1124 and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I realize the position you're in, this is a challenging situation for sure. Business cancellation fees parameters are quite different from consumer Internet service. I was wondering if you have any other household individuals who may take over the account from you for the duration of your trip? In addition you can also have the account transferred over to someone else.

I recommend continue working with our Business customer care or you can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can take a second look and explore the options for you. If you're not familiar with how to PM, please see this post.

RogersZia

DavidPC
I plan to stick around

Internet cancellation fee is 50% of the non discount price, multiplied by the number of months left remaining in the term.

I would suggest you escalate to Office of the President for Small Business since you've been deliberately misled by a sales rep, if that is not successful, it's time to escalate to the CCTS.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/ 

Peter1124
I've been here awhile

I have to thank you because you are the one who inspired me to fight for it. I was going to pay the full amount couple days ago. I made my final attempt in calling Rogers. Asked for a supervisor. Told her my story. My cancellation fee was 712 before tax , reduced to 315 before tax. Yes, they charge tax on cancellation fee. I was still not happy with that, hoping the whole fee would be waived, but I took it eventually to avoid further hassle. I actually declined that offer at first. I called back again to take the offer after consulting with my family. To keep short, what the sup did was reversing my contract. Since I was misled by the sales person, they treat my service as non-contract now to avoid cancellation fee. I still did not like what the sup has done since I would not have been using Rogers if it was not discounted. Nonetheless, I found out the affect already took place without my consent. I know I made that second call to take it but you guys know what I mean.

I am sure there are or will be people in my spot and I hope this could help them. Always fight for it! And there are always rooms to negotiate.

Galikath
I've been here awhile

Hello,

After recently revising my Internet and phone services with Rogers, I called in to request a copy of my services contract - as mandated by the CRTC "internet code". According to the "Provision of contract" section, Rogers is obliged to provide me a copy of my contract that documents the terms (e.g., expiry of discounted rates, contract expiration date, early cancellation fees, etc), and the call center representative flat out refused, saying that no such documentation was available.

Moreover, when I asked about early cancellation fees, I was told that my cancellation would be at a monthly cost * the number of months remaining - all fine and allowable. Except that the number of months remaining in my contract is 35, which exceeds the 24 months permitted under the same aforementioned code.

The language on the CRTC site seems pretty clear to me, but I welcome any alternative interpretations that would permit Rogers to flout these regulations. I tried explaining that I was quoting CRTC regulations with the call center representative with whom I was speaking, but he claimed ignorance. In my case, my contract is for a small business, not residential service, but the CRTC rules would appear to apply to the provider, regardless of who the customer is, as far as I can see.

Welcome any other input on the matter!

Thanks.

EDIT: This does not seem entirely accurate, since the CRTC code that I quoted came into effect after this thread was created; the information in this thread is all 4 years old.

Good day @Galikath,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! Thank you for posting about your current situation pertaining to the Internet Code that came into effect last year. I appreciate the opportunity to clarify how it impacts different types of customers/accounts.

If there are some early cancellation fees applicable upon termination of your Internet term offer, it means that you have a Business account. The cancellation fees are normally $100 per remaining year on the term and/or $10/month left on the contract.

The same rules do not apply to a consumer versus a business account. On an individual person's account, the terms are normally 12 months but can go up to 24 months. There have not been any applicable cancellation fees for the termination of an internet subscription for several years now on a regular customer account even when benefiting from a term offer.

Firstly, let me ask whether you've spoken with a Customer Relations representative from our Business Service department to clear this up?

You mentioned having 35 months left to your 36 month term. Have you inquired as to whether the "Buyer's Remorse" grace period could be granted in this situation?

With regards to the documentation, it should have been sent to your by email at the time of the agreement. 

RogersMaude

Galikath
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the reply, @RogersMaude.

The CRTC guidelines do not, as best I can see, distinguish between different types of consumers, be they business or residential, and this is the foundation of most of what I've posted about. If you can show be where that code does make this distinction, I would much obliged.

I did speak with a a Customer Relations representative, and while they were able to provide the information I requested, they could not, per the code requirement, provide me a printed/electronic copy of the service contract.

My service is at 55 days into the contract, which exceeds the 45 days that is (again, as listed in the code) supposedly the "grace period" in which I would have been permitted to exit the contract without cancellation fees.

Thank you!

jnardari
I plan to stick around

Galikath
I've been here awhile
Thank you, @jnardari! Wow, that was deeply tucked away in there.

I stand corrected, then: the code indeed does not apply to small business customers and I retract my complaint.

hammouda
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I am really disappointed with the way that rogers are trying to make their money from customers. I had 1 monthly account with Rogers and asked for 2nd account. When I no longer in need of the 2nd account, I requested to cancel the service. After I paid all dies on the account, I received a new bill for cancellation fees to $250. I came to know that the 2nd account I requested was a 1year contract. I was not informed when I signed for the service that it will be 1 year contract, also I was not informed that a penalty will be applied when I requested for service cancelation. When you call Rogers and they take your permission to record the call, they only use the recording if the matter is in their favour. I explained this matter to the customer service, then I explained to office of president, but instead of going back to their recording to investigate, they forwarded my case to the collection agency assignment. They were not transparent when I request for the service, and they failed to inform me abut the cancellation fees when I requested to cancel my account. I was expecting that they will investigate and provide proper training to their customer service to be more transparent with the customer when connecting a service. Forwarding my case to the collection agency will not bring back the money to Rogers rather it will ruin the customer relationship now I am questioning whether I want to continue with the service for the other account which means that Rogers will lose from both ends. I am still hoping they will investigate and come up with a proper solution.

Hello,

To follow up on the Early Cancelation Fee (for Business Internet contract), when would be a good time to call/cancel the service if my contract expires on April 7, 2024? Thanks, J N

Hello @Jonny_86 ,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting your question! 🙂

As long as the account is in good standing, you may reach out up to 45 days in advance of the targeted cancellation date to make the request. Same-day cancellation requests are also acceptable.

Please note: Services being cancelled with a future date continue to work (and bill) up to and including the requested cancellation date. Example: If a customer requests in advance to cancel on June 6, their services will be available until 11:59 pm on June 6. For same-day cancellations, services cease immediately.

Customers are responsible for returning rental equipment (if applicable) after cancellation to avoid any 'unreturned equipment fees'.

For any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to our Business teams. You may view their contact info here.

Cheers!

RogersYasmine

That's very sad to know. So what was the outcome of it? Did you pay collection agency Or Rogers reversed the charges?

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 in conversation