cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gig internet speeds ?

outrun
I've been here awhile

Hi - i just upgraded my plan to 1 gig, i have the black XB6 ignite wifi gateway modem

here is my result  https://www.speedtest.net/result/14075169162

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 1gig internet speeds ?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@outrun Clearly, this is not great... but there could be a logical explanation.

I presume that you have already rebooted/power-cycled your XB6 gateway.

What computer/device are you using to perform the speed test?  How are you connected?  The sub-100 Mb/s speeds can occur if you are connected by Wi-Fi on the 2.4 GHz band or if your computer's Gigabit Ethernet adapter is only connecting at 100 Mb/s.

Also, were you previously an Ignite Internet customer and just upgraded your speed OR did you switch from legacy Rogers Internet and only recently became an Ignite Internet customer?  What were you speed test results like prior to upgrading to Ignite Gigabit Internet?

outrun
I've been here awhile

the modem rebooted itself 3 times after i finished the phone call with a Rogers rep

i am connected via Ethernet cable from modem to the desktop tower pc

previous Ignite internet customer and just upgraded the speed from 150mbps

the speed results previously were maxing out at around 170-180mbps

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@outrun  I would physically pull the power plug on the Ignite gateway, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in again.

The XB6 gateway is capable of supporting Gigabit Internet, so you should be able to attain speeds of around 940 Mb/s over a wired Gigabit Ethernet connection.  Over Wi-Fi, your speeds will top out at around 600 Mb/s, because the XB6 only supports Wi-Fi 5.

As a Gigabit Internet customer, you also qualify to get your gateway upgraded to an XB7, which supports Wi-Fi 6.  However, upgrading the gateway may not make any difference, depending on what is currently slowing you down.

Hopefully, this is all just due to a temporary provisioning issue that will go away after you power-cycle your gateway.

One other thing.  I thought that Rogers stopped selling "Ignite Internet Gigabit" and replaced it with "Ignite Internet Gigabit 1.5" in major metropolitan areas.  This was a fairly recent change.  How long ago did you upgrade?

outrun
I've been here awhile

i upgraded today - december 14, with winback ZEDD retention

DavidR83
I've been around
Hate to say it but after a few months on the gigabit expere with rogers proved they couldn't deliver even 500mb due to the cabling in the neighborhood
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation