Xi6 Ignite TV Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Xi6 Ignite TV Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

Tried a few searches on this, so apologies if this is already addressed.

In my case I have several Xi6-T boxes, and I was installing a new TV.    I connected it to the box, and turned on the TV with its remote (did not setup the Ignite remote yet).    The last TV channel I was watching was already playing.

I assumed I left the Xi6 on (I realize there's no hard "off"), so once I got everything setup, I used the "power" button (top right) to turn off the TV and Xi6.    As a second test, I used the TV remote to just turn on the TV: the previous channel was still streaming.

Are Xi6-T boxes always streaming, even when "off"?

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Xi6 Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

@robtoe wrote:

Tried a few searches on this, so apologies if this is already addressed.

In my case I have several Xi6-T boxes, and I was installing a new TV.    I connected it to the box, and turned on the TV with its remote (did not setup the Ignite remote yet).    The last TV channel I was watching was already playing.

I assumed I left the Xi6 on (I realize there's no hard "off"), so once I got everything setup, I used the "power" button (top right) to turn off the TV and Xi6.    As a second test, I used the TV remote to just turn on the TV: the previous channel was still streaming.

Are Xi6-T boxes always streaming, even when "off"?

The problem is that the "Power" button on the Rogers XR15 remote does not turn the Xi6 set-top box off; it actually sends a "Power On/Off" to the TV and a "Power On" to the Xi6.  You can turn the Xi6 off by issuing the "Power Down" voice command but if you then you press the Power button on the remote, it will turn the TV off and turn the Xi6 right back on again.  After a several hours of no signals from the remote, a message will come up on the TV screen asking if anybody is still watching.  If there is no further input, the Xi6 will so into standby mode on its own.

The older XR11 remotes have separate "TV Power" and "All Power" buttons so with those, you can issue the "Power Down" voice command (or use Settings > Device Settings > Power Preferences > Power Down Now) to turn off the Xi6 and then turn off the TV using the "TV Power" button.

FYI, ages ago, the "All Power" button used to send a "Power On/Off" to all devices.  However, because some devices are controlled by IR and the Xi6 is (usually) is controlled via RF, if the remote was not pointed just right, you could easily get into a state where the TV is on but the set-top box is off, and vice versa, and this confused and upset many customers... so Comcast elected to just let the set-top box turn itself off after a period of idle time.

The separate power buttons on the XR11 remote were also deemed to be too confusing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, thanks for the quick, and detailed reply!

Do you happen to know the "several hours" number?    Imagine how many thousands of Ignite customers are unnecessarily using bandwidth, when in fact their TV is off.

While this isn't an issue for the customer given unlimited data packages with Ignite, there is added power consumption, and certainly the Rogers network is taxed more than it need be.   (You'd think there would be some incentive on their end to fix.)

Very interesting.   A bit disturbing actually.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  It's several hours; longer than the longest movie that I've ever watched.  I don't know for sure because 1) I've never timed it myself and 2) I also have a problem tying up network resources and wasting bits, so I use the "Power Down" command to turn off the STB and turn off my TV with a separate remote.

Not everybody is like us.  You may find the following thread amusing: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-Screen-Saver/m-p/441563

I Plan to Stick Around

I checked my 3 Xi6T boxes, and all had Power Saver set to "off" (Rogers -> Settings -> Device Settings -> Power Preferences -> Power Saver).

I don't think I set them to "off", so I'll assume that it's the default setting.

I'd appreciate an official reply from Rogers please:

1.  Is Power Saver indeed set to "off" by default?

2. What are the implications of Power Saver set to "off"?

3.  If Power Saver is set to "on", after how long does it kick in, and what exactly does it do?

I Plan to Stick Around

I was able to grab some additional technical details from a friend at Rogers, so thought I'd share:

• The stream does not get torn down until 4 hours of inactivity have passed.
  • While manually powering down the Xi6 (or Power Saver) will turn it off, the stream continues to your gateway regardless.

So inevitably, there is some bandwidth use even when you've powered down the Xi6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe wrote:

I was able to grab some additional technical details from a friend at Rogers, so thought I'd share:

• The stream does not get torn down until 4 hours of inactivity have passed.
  • While manually powering down the Xi6 (or Power Saver) will turn it off, the stream continues to your gateway regardless.

So inevitably, there is some bandwidth use even when you've powered down the Xi6.

The Xi6 definitely remains connected to the network but I can also definitely confirm that the stream gets torn down immediately after issuing the "Power Down" command.  (The amount of bandwidth consumed drops to practically nothing.)

I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, was about to say the gateway piece should be easy enough to confirm, so if you've checked it, I won't bother myself.   (I'll seek clarity from my Rogers contact.)

Still, crazy to think a stream could continue for 4 hours (per box) when not in use, but that's not our concern - it's a larger Rogers infrastructure issue and they don't seem to be bothered.

I Plan to Stick Around

Instead of reverting to the TV remote, I'm hitting the Power button on the Ignite remote to turn off the TV, then I say "Power Down" into the remote, <right arrow>, then <enter>.   This powers off the Xi6 box, albeit blindly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  FYI: I don't know what changed recently but as of two days ago, the "Power down" command started taking me to "Power Preferences" instead, despite showing that it did recognize my command correctly.  Other variations, such as "Power down now" or "Power off" don't work either; the Xi6 responds with, "Sorry, I can't control TV power yet."