cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound bar does not work with Ignite TV

Lui1444
I've been here awhile

With Bell Fibe. I was able to use my optical cable connection from my RCA Lcd TV to my Samsung sound bar along with my DVD player. my AppleTV+ box and the fibeTV sound. With Ignite connected to TV with an HDMI connection. I still get proper sound bar use with the DVD and Apple box but no sound from the sound bar even when paired (volume goes up and down) using the Ignite remote but no sound.

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Sound bar does not work with Ignite TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no reason that IgniteTV shouldn't work.  Sometimes TVs have difficulty passing through certain signals, so in the IgniteTV settings try setting the Audio Output to "Stereo" instead of Dolby or Expert, etc.  The fact that you're using a sound bar and not an AVR should mean that there are no adverse effects for selecting "Stereo" instead of another option as the Sound bar will still provide you with surround sound.

Also, check the autio settings in your TV to see if it has audio options for the optical port - like Passthrough or PCM or Dolby, etc.

My TV has no issues passing through the audio from the IgniteTV box to my AVR via the optical connection.

Lui1444
I've been here awhile

Hi:  I tried the suggested change to "Stereo" on the audio output for Ignite TV via the remote.  The sound still does not pass through.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Did you check the TV's audio settings per my previous post?

2. What happens if you switch to the TV speakers instead of the "external speakers" - do you get sound then?

3. If not, then there may be an issue with the HDMI cable - try a different HDMI cable?

4. Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the IgniteTV box?  Try swapping ends - put the end that was in the TV into the box and vice versa.

5. Try switching inputs on the TV - for example, use the one that works for the DVD Player or the AppleTV.

6. I assume you're getting video on the TV for the IgniteTV programming?

Lui1444
I've been here awhile

Hi Again:  #1, yes tried to change to "Stereo only", no change, I get sound out of the TV with the audio "Fixed" setting vs no sound from TV on Variable output".  #2 get no sound from sound bar when set to external speakers, #3 , #4, #5 tried different HDMI cab other than the Rogers Ignite HDMI cable and different HDMI inputs (have 3),  with no difference, #6 get great sound from TV.  TV has 2 channel output (Dolby).  With Bell Fibe, I had ability to even have both the TV speakers on and the sound bar on.  I turned the TV speakers to 0 volume ...The Bell Fibe remote turned on both the TV and the sound bar, but I controlled the sound bar with its own remote.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lui1444 wrote:

1. With Bell Fibe, I had ability to even have both the TV speakers on and the sound bar on.  I turned the TV speakers to 0 volume ...The Bell Fibe remote turned on both the TV and the sound bar, but

2. I controlled the sound bar with its own remote.

3. #6 get great sound from TV.  TV has 2 channel output (Dolby). 

1. I'm surprised that your TV can do both. Most either utilize the internal (TV) speakers or external device, but not both.

2. Is it possible there is some sort of audio setting in the sound bar that will make things work for IgniteTV?

3. I was asking about video from IgniteTV, not audio.

4. When using an external device like a sound bar, one should always use the "fixed" setting in the sending device(s) to maximize potential volume and maximize the signal to noise ratio. The audio volume is then adjusted by the audio control in the receiving device - in this case the sound bar.

reed935
I plan to stick around

Not sure how relevant this will be, but my Sony TV also supports TV speakers + optical connection.  Actually, the optical is always available.  I use it for a set of headphones for wife (a little hard of hearing), while I listen on TV speakers.  On my TV (2018 Sony Bravia Z9F) I have to output the audio in PCM (I think) for it to work properly, + I have to ensure that I raise the setting for PCM volume, which is another setting on the TV.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation