cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved: Controlling Rogers Ignite guide with Samsung One Remote Control

rgb
I've been here awhile

I think I may have stumbled upon the method by which you can use a Samsung remote such (as that provided with the Frame tv) to control a Rogers Ignite box (The Xi6* version). I understand there also a box for just streaming, but have no experience with that.

Here are the steps I followed for the ‘regular’ 4k Ignite box which seem to work at least for now…

As was posted elsewhere, you need to enable IP control on your (Rogers) box. My Frame control box for the TV is connected to the Ignite box by HDMI, of course, and both devices get Internet via Wi-Fi…:

So the first step is to determine if the Ignite box has IP turned on or not and if off, enable it..:

* Press and hold the Rogers button for 3 seconds. Ignore the voice prompt that pops up or any other on screen channel information as a result of the next steps.

* Press the "DOWN", "DOWN", then "3" buttons one at a time and wait a few seconds for the Ignite control page to open.

* Scroll down to 'Remote Control' section. If it says IP is enabled, you can press exit back out of the section and skip down to working with the Samsung remote control. If it says it’s not enabled, then continue with this section first.

With remove control selected, press the round OK key on the XR15 remote. You won’t see any change on the screen from doing this (unlike most on screen editors, selection won’t jump into the area where it lists the IP enabled option)

* With the IP Control page open press and hold "A" for 5 seconds, then press separately the "4", "7", "7" buttons. Then press and hold "A"again for 5 seconds.

The Ignite box will reboot (just to be patient when it comes up with the welcome logo … just let it sit for another couple of minutes) and when the picture returns, repeat the first part of these steps to view the remote control information to ensure IP has been enabled.

With that done, now you can turn to your Samsung remote. My instructions are for the Samsung one connect remote that comes with The Frame 75 inch TV (the white remote with the solar charging), but may also apply to other makes of the similar remote.

With both the TV and set up box press the home key on the Samsung remote then navigate over to the right to access the connection settings options. There, scroll to the end of the options to Universal Remote and select that.

If you have already set up the remote with Rogers and it’s not working correctly delete the Rogers option that you put in and it will walk you through the set up once again for the remote. In that section,…

Walk through the first couple of connection questions and when it ask you about the service provider pick Rogers.

The next question will ask you about the set up box, select either Technicolor or Arris, depending on whether your set up box has a -T or –A at the end of the model number on the bottom of the set up box (e.g,, Xi6–T]

In the next field search for Xi6. The only option in 2023 appears to be either Xi6 or Xi6a. My set up box is a technicolor and because it was no dash T option I just chose the plain Xi6.

On the next page go through the channel change test.. For me, the first test did not change the channel but the second time it did. When you get a positive response you can OK out. The remote is now.configured to control the Ignite box. .

Of note…
- To pull up the guide, long press down the horizontal bar beside mute button.

- to scroll through channels one at a time, similar to scrolling blindly with the XR15 remote, press and hold for a second the channel up or down buttons. Only problem with this is it runs through all the channels sequentially so if you are not subscribed every channel, you’ll get the unsubscribed warning. (As an aside, it’s a real shame, that the people who designed the software for the set top boxes did not learn the lesson Microsoft learned years ago, which was that pop-up windows annoy people and should only be ever used for serious critical errors, not just to affirm a users, positive action, or the system’s positive response, But I slightly digress) .

-To Just scroll through the channel guide, pull it up and instead of using the up/down buttons on the channels bar use the up-and-down buttons surrounding the round ‘OK’ button instead.

(There is an option if you go back into the set up universal remote, where you can change the speed at which the guidescroll reacts to each press.)

Hope this helps someone. And if there’s anything omitted tagged on the end of this thread.

***ADDED LABELS***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Solved: Controlling Rogers Ignite guide with Samsung One Remote Control

RogersYasmine

Hello @rgb !

Thanks for joining us in the community! We hope you like it here! 🙂

Although, we cannot really comment on this type of set-up since it's not really supported by us, we do appreciate you sharing your knowledge and tips with the rest of the community. I'm sure others will stumble upon it and may find it very helpful!

Happy holidays to you and your loved ones!!

RogersYasmine

Re: Solved: Controlling Rogers Ignite guide with Samsung One Remote Control

VS01
I've been around
Thanks man! I got to choosing the model on my Samsung TV (non-frame LED) and there is no Xi6 there is only Xi6A and it doesn’t work. Do any other model number work?
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation