cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saved Recordings Disappearing

RSS92
I'm here a lot

I was on my ignite TV app earlier today marking some recordings as "save until expiry". I had just marked a film as such when the app refreshed and the recording disappeared. I still had 2% space left on my PVR before the recording disappeared and after the app refresh I only have 1%.  It's not showing in my recently deleted recordings. Thinking back, this has happened a few times recently as I'm missing a few recent recordings, and I always save until expiry on all after they record.  What's up with this? 

**Labels Added**

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Saved Recordings Disappearing

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RSS92  I don't know what happened in your case but I can only think of three reasons why a recording would just disappear, without being deleted either accidentally or by somebody else:

- It gets deleted after being stored for one year

- A recording gets deleted to make room for another program that is currently being recorded

- The system detected that a stored recording was corrupted

Sometimes a deleted recording could also still appear in your list of recordings, then disappear when the list gets refreshed.

RSS92
I'm here a lot

Thank you G. 

The deleted recording was from last night and nothing was being recorded when it was deleted

RSS92
I'm here a lot

Can rogers get the Recording back for me as I would like to watch that movie? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RSS92 wrote:  ...I still had 2% space left on my PVR before the recording disappeared 

Here are my comments:

1. One should never run that close to the limit. I would suggest going no higher than say 90% to ensure that nothing gets deleted, especially if you have other recordings scheduled, which may not record if all your recorded proramming is marked "until expired".

https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/how-to-record-shows-and-movies-with-ignite-tv

2. Use the voice commands to do a search for the programme.  Many programmes air many times and it may be available again or on demand.

3. Rogers will not recover a programme for you, but as mentioned above, it may be available in the future or OD or on the web.

RSS92
I'm here a lot

This program will not be on again anytime soon as I record many  rare  old films. It's an unfortunate situation. 

RSS92
I'm here a lot

1. One should never run that close to the limit. I would suggest going no higher than say 90% to ensure that nothing gets deleted, especially if you have other recordings scheduled, which may not record if all your recorded proramming is marked "until expired". 

This was a bit condescending tbh ^^^^   

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RSS92  At the very least, don't have the Save time for ALL of your recordings set to "For 1 year"; leave some (or as many as you can) set to "Until space is needed".  My PVR usage has been at 99% for as long as I can remember, but I also know which recording will be the next to get deleted if space is needed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RSS92 wrote:

1. One should never run that close to the limit.  This was a bit condescending tbh ^^^^   

It was not meant to be condescending. It was meant to be helpful.  If you want to run at the ragged edge, you must accept the consequences.

The Rogers PVRs, both legacy digital cable and IgniteTV, are designed as time-shifting devices, not for archiving.

As mentioned by @-G- designate some of your recordings so that they can make room for new recordings and eliminate new deletes or non-recording.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

As was already mentioned, around the 98% dvr used space level (for both legacy digital PVRs and IPTV cloud dvr recordings), oddities can occur.

Whenever I get hit with a bug that stops me from deleting a recording, or a PVR box freeze leading to a forced reboot, it then looks like some recordings (that were currently being recorded during reboot)) are gone, so I just reboot my Digital PVR box one or two times to get the recordings back

For IPTV, or APP usage, many Rogers and Bell subscribers often report lost recordings, or upcoming timers disappearing when the APP was used to change or access TV content. However, sometimes rebooting the TV boxes a few times, or then trying the Synch DVR option from the settings, can sometimes restore previously "lost" recordings or upcoming recording timers.

The APP glitched and incorrectly "attacked your recordings because APPs are stupid, and 95-98% full DVRs often give those APPs a brain freeze. 🍦

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation