cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite tv box keeps cutting out every minute.

Don76
I plan to stick around

I have had Rogers ignite for over a year now and all was well. But since last week only 1 of my ignite tv boxes keeps cutting out every minute or two. All the other TVs in the house are fine, internet is fine, WiFi pods are all fine. It’s just the 1 box that is having a problem. I’ve tried every rebooting option that Rogers recommends. I even bought a new hdmi cable but it still cuts out. Honestly I think the box is fried. What can I do now ?

***Edited Labels***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Rogers Ignite tv box keeps cutting out every minute.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don76 wrote:
I have had Rogers ignite for over a year now and all was well. But since last week only 1 of my ignite tv boxes keeps cutting out every minute or two. All the other TVs in the house are fine, internet is fine, WiFi pods are all fine. It’s just the 1 box that is having a problem. I’ve tried every rebooting option that Rogers recommends. I even bought a new hdmi cable but it still cuts out. Honestly I think the box is fried. What can I do now ?

I would move the problematic box to a TV where the service currently works well to see if the problem follows the box.  You don't even need to exchange boxes, just unplug/disconnect one set-top box and connect the box that you suspect may be bad.

If the problems persist, contact Tech Support.  They can run further tests and arrange for a replacement if the box does turn out to be defective.

Don76
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the idea. I will definitely try this and post the outcome.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I had that happen, it would fix for a while after unplugging from power for a while, but then eventually would not even boot. Had to get a new one.

Don76
I plan to stick around
Ok I moved the problematic tv box and connected it to another tv and it is still cutting out. Moved the box to a second tv and still cutting out. I am 100% that this tv box is fried. I connected back the good tv boxes and all is going well… no issues. Can I go to a Rogers store and swap it for a new one. I really don’t want to be on the phone for a long period of time explaining this over and over again 😐

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don76 wrote:
Ok I moved the problematic tv box and connected it to another tv and it is still cutting out. Moved the box to a second tv and still cutting out. I am 100% that this tv box is fried. I connected back the good tv boxes and all is going well… no issues. Can I go to a Rogers store and swap it for a new one. I really don’t want to be on the phone for a long period of time explaining this over and over again 😐

Reconnect the glitchy set-top box and then send a private message to @CommunityHelps .  They'll run some tests, may ask you to try a few more things, and can arrange for a replacement set-top box to get sent out to you.

I don't think that Rogers stores can exchange Ignite set-top boxes.  (Not a bad thing, in my opinion.  If customers could exchange STB's on a whim, we would end up with a ton of these getting cycled in and out of Rogers stores constantly for no reason.  These set-top boxes should not have a high failure rate and any problems experienced by customers are more likely due to problematic Wi-Fi installations, not a problem with the STB.)

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Should not but I have had 2 of 3 replaced for the same issue.

cbishop1962
I've been around

I have the same issue on a new ignite installation.  I am watching a channel on the STB and then the video stalls, an irritating sound occurs and the message "cable disconnected" appears and then disappears.. the video continues.. this happens randomly.   

So, i started a few shell pings against the CMTS,  started streaming netflix thru the STB and also streaming on my laptop... absolutely no problems for two hours...  I stopped the netflix on the STB.. and switched to the channels... the same problem occurred in minutes.  

It seems to me that the STB has a session layer issue.. this would align with the reports that techs come to homes and find nothing wrong.. there is no physical cable issue.. no STB PHY issue.. seems to be at the MAC or Session software layers.. 

Hello, @cbishop1962.

We appreciate you joining this discussion, and welcome to our Community! 

Thank you for sharing the troubleshooting details. These random disconnects, is it happening on more than one box? 

By any chance, are you using a third-party router or any other networking gear? 

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation