cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite Bundle Installation Questions

Jamesthehawk
I'm here a lot

Hello , does Rogers really have to run in new cables in to our apartment from outside to setup an Ignite Bundle ? We been living here for years so are the old coaxial cables inside still good enough for the new Ignite program? Is it necessary for me to download the Ignite Hub App at all ? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

**Labels Added**

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rogers Ignite Bundle Installation Questions

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jamesthehawk fwiw we're on our third underground cable.  One lasted over ten years, the next only two years and now we're around the three (?) year mark on the current cable.   There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how long those cable last, but, I'd expect them to last at least 10 years or more. 

The modem signal levels on your current cable would give you a good idea of the condition of the cable.  The normal QAM (channels 1 to 32) signal levels are 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratio of 36 to 40 dBmV.  The operating signal level range is +/- 15 dBmV, but, historically, from what I've seen in the forum, if you're levels are outside of a +/- 6/7 dBmV range, you can expect to see modem issues. 

The upstream QAM channels (1 to 3 or possibly 1 to 4) typically operate in a 36 to 40 dBmV range.  

If you happen to live on the sunny side of the building, I'd expect your current cable to be "cooked" so to speak, so, replacing that cable would be a good idea. 

If Rogers is offering to replace that cable along with installing an Ignite modem, I'd take them up on that offer. 

As for the Ignite app, don't know as we're using a CODA-4582 modem.  Thats a question for @57 or @-G- 

Re: Rogers Ignite Bundle Installation Questions

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

As for the Ignite app, don't know as we're using a CODA-4582 modem.  Thats a question for @57 or @-G- 

You do not need to use the mobile app to perform a basic setup of the Ignite gateway.  However, there are some  features and functions that can only be configured using the Ignite WiFi app.

As for how long coax cables last, the ones coming up to and going into my house are almost 20 years old, and my Internet service works flawlessly.  However, if your service is getting upgraded to Fibre-to-the-Home, then this will require the installation of a new fibre cable to replace the old coax cable.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation