cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sound When Running Ignite TV Box Through Pioneer Audio Receiver

ArianK
I plan to stick around

I think the title tells the story, but just in case:

I run one HDMI cable from the IgniteTV to my Pioneer VSX-821 receiver, and from there into the TV.

For whatever reason, I get no sound. I called in and they tell me the receiver may be too old to just give me the sound I need. All because there's no default Dolby Digital option, so if the box doesn't "sense" it, you don't get the right sound.

Why is this necessary? The Bell Fibe receivers can switch to Dolby Digital like that over HDMI. I got the receiver just because of this and it still doesn't work.

***Added Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: No Sound When Running Ignite TV Box Through Pioneer Audio Receiver

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@ArianK wrote:

I think the title tells the story, but just in case:

I run one HDMI cable from the IgniteTV to my Pioneer VSX-821 receiver, and from there into the TV.

For whatever reason, I get no sound. I called in and they tell me the receiver may be too old to just give me the sound I need. All because there's no default Dolby Digital option, so if the box doesn't "sense" it, you don't get the right sound.

Why is this necessary? The Bell Fibe receivers can switch to Dolby Digital like that over HDMI. I got the receiver just because of this and it still doesn't work.

***Added Labels***

Hi, welcome to the forums..

I have no great insight except to double-check the obvious:

1. Switch cables.

2. Double-check the mute setting... my Ignite always comes up muted for some unknown reason.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Try the various audio output settings in the IgniteTV box - like "stereo" or Dolby, perhaps "Expert".  Do not use the "Auto" setting.  Try a different HDMI cable as suggested.

If all else fails, run the HDMI cable directly to the TV from the IgniteTV box and an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and select "external" for the audio setting in the TV's audio setup so that sound is sent to the AVR from the TV.

Zues15
I've been around

Looking for some help please.  I can't seem to get sound going though my AV receiver when connected to my ignite box.  I am trying to connect my ignite TV to my Pioneer AV receiver which has three HDMI ports.  I have an old Philips LCD flat screen TV with only one HDMI port.  I cannot seem to get the sound going through my receiver and speakers when I watch TV, but I can get picture no problm.  Here's how I have it setup: I have one HDMI cable going from my ignite box to the TV/SAT input on the receiver and another HDMI cable going from HDMI output on the receiver to the back of my TV.  The sounds isn't working, but the picture is.  I checked my speaker wire connections and they're fine.  When I switch source on the receiver to FM it plays the radio on the speakers no problem, so why can't I hear anything when I watch ignite TV through my speakers.  Not sure what else to do to get sound.  Any suggestions??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Zues15 : What is the exact model number of your Pioneer receiver?  Some of the older ones didn't handle HDMI audio at all - only say optical or coaxial or analogue.  In the user setup of the receiver, it's sometimes not set up properly for a particular input (like TV/Sat) to use the HDMI audio, but rather say optical audio as a default. This needs to be properly "assigned" when setting up the receiver.   

If all else fails, run the HDMI cable directly to the TV from the IgniteTV box and an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and select "external" for the audio setting in the TV's audio setup so that sound is sent to the AVR via the TV.  This option assumes that the TV will allow for "passthrough" of the audio, which some older TVs do not.

lovecats
I plan to stick around

I have a similar question, but my receiver is a Krohm HDAV650B. It is supposed to handle D 5.1 HDMI input, has an HDMI ARC output. Our TV, an old RCA HDTV, has HDMI inputs, and I think anI HDMI output but I shall have to look at the back of the set to make sure. Would RCA cables from the TV to the receiver at least handle stereo sound? The speakers on the TV are tinny.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are my comments & questions. 

1. TVs do not have HDMI OUTputs, unless it has HDMI-ARC for a specific HDMI port.  Sounds like your older TV may not have HDMI-ARC, but it would be labelled as such if it has it

2. The RCA  (analogue audio) ports on most TVs are INputs, not OUTputs.  You'd need to check.

3. The TV may have an optical output, however, I don't believe your AVR has an optical input, so that won't work per my post above yours.

4. Try setting the audio output setting of the Rogers box to "Stereo" instead of DD or Expert.  Make sure you're tuned to the correct HDMI input on the AVR.  Connect the Rogers box via HDMI to the AVR and then the AVR to the TV via HDMI. Do you have video on the TV?

5. If you're getting audio on the TV when connected as instructed in point 4, then you may need to go into the AVR setup to tell the AVR to use the HDMI input for audio, instead of passing the audio to the TV.

monkey1580
I plan to stick around
You need a avr converter so from tv to receiver this will take the sound from your TV convert it to the receiver and your speakers I have this set up now. You need this with or without ignite or any other setup including bell AVR I HAVE THIS SET UP WITH ROGERS NOW AND MY FRIEND HAS IT WITH IGNITE also Bell you need the SAME SETUP YOU AFTER CONVINCE THE THE TV YOU NOW HAVE A RECEIVER ATTACHED AVR AVR

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation