cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Poor picture quality

Gibby19
I've been here awhile

Just switched to Ignite TV from Shaw (since I received a letter saying my shaw hardware won't work past Sep 9).  I activated the ignite box today and I'm currently able to watch tv channels on the new ignite box as well as my shaw box using different inputs on the TV.  So I can watch the same channel on each and switch back and forth between the two boxes within seconds.   The picture quality on ignite is worse than shaw.   The shaw channels have always been very sharp but the ignite channels are blurrier and are jittery when text flows across the screen.   Ignite is a significant downgrade in picture quality!   Not to mention the loss of good features on the shaw remote (eg. Last button and quick forward and back buttons) but most importantly the loss of auto record when you're on a channel,  change to another channel,  and then change back to the original channel.   With Ignite you lose the recording of the original channel so flipping between two channels (or more)  becomes onerous - ie. You have to record both channels manually and then when you are done go in and delete them.   Why would today's technology be so much worse than the technology I started using 15 years ago?   

If anyone knows of a way to sharpen the picture of Ignite tv please let me know.   Oh yeah,  Ignite tv is delayed by about 20 seconds compared to shaw - what? 

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ignite TV Poor picture quality

RogersJermaine

Hello @Gibby19,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your detailed post regarding your experience so far with the services. We certainly do appreciate the feedback. 

If you are noticing issues with the picture quality, you can try adjusting the settings on the box first by following the steps here. If there is still an issue, please try some of the tips found in our help article here

Please let us know any of these suggestions help. 

RogersJermaine

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I found the IgniteTV picture quality to be excellent and significantly better than Digital TV here in Toronto.  Try swapping the inputs on the TV to see if any of the TV's settings have adversely affected the picture quality on one input.

I optimized home theatres for about 10 years during semi-retirement.

Check out the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/4K-PVR-Picture-Quality-Poor-on-1080i-TV/m-p/416...

Gibby19
I've been here awhile

Thanks RogersJermaine.  I have tried all of those things and I'm also using ethernet instead of wifi.  My wifi signal,  however, is very strong at my TV so the difference between ethernet and wifi is not discernable.  I have set the tv picture settings exactly the same for both hdmi inputs and I have also swapped them.   I've tested with members of my household (including kids with better eyesight than me) and they can see the difference right away (i don't tell them which one I'm showing them and everyone picked shaw gateway).   The shaw gateway picture is just sharper I guess.

I'd like to know the technical reason for the difference but I don't think I'll ever be told.   Maybe it's the coax?   I'd also like to know why the shows are delayed/ buffered by 18 to 35 seconds on ignite compared to shaw gateway. 

So far the most frustrating part is the blur of motion most obvious for scrolling text and sports. 

Gibby19
I've been here awhile

Thanks Resident Expert.  I'm away right now so I'll try some of these adjustments when I get back home.  You can see my response to RogersJermaine.  My comparison has been between the two hdmi inputs set at all the exact same video settings. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gibby19 wrote:

1. The shaw gateway picture is just sharper I guess.

2. I'd also like to know why the shows are delayed/ buffered by 18 to 35 seconds on ignite compared to shaw gateway. 

1. Although it may look "sharper" it may be due to a high sharpness number, which can exacerbate artifacts like stair-stepping, macroblocking, halos around objects, etc.

2. It's the way IPTV works due to "manipulation of the signal" that must be performed at the head end.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation