cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) in Ignite TV always zoom

kklee
I plan to stick around

I just switched to Ignite TV and have an annoying problem. Fairchild TV is not a HD channel so I watch it with TV box setting “Auto Zoom”None. I don’t want zooming because it will make the picture “un-natural”. After switching to Ignite TV and setting “Auto Zoom” to None, I found that Fairchild TV West (Channel 751) does not zoom, but Fairchild TV East (Channel 36 and 750) still zoom to size of screen. Anybody experience the same thing and any suggestion on fixing it? Thanks.

*Added Labels*

57 REPLIES 57

Re: Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) in Ignite TV always zoom

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

@CommunityHelps  I would be happy to test Fairchild myself but don't want to use my Flex Channel swap to do this.  Could you please temporarily remove the MLB Network (channel 538) from my lineup and add Fairchild?  Thanks!

Fairchild appears to be on Free Preview until February 20?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Fairchild appears to be on Free Preview until February 20?

Yes, it is!!!  Thank you VERY much!

Just tested this myself.  With "Settings > Device Settings > Video Display > Zoom" set to "None", channel 751 (FAIRW) displays in a 4:3 format with sidebars.  With Zoom set to "Full", the picture is stretched horizontally to eliminate the sidebars.

Channels 36 and 750 (FAIR) display the same, horizontally stretched, regardless of the Zoom setting.

kklee
I plan to stick around

All I am asking is for Rogers to broadcast the original signal from the TV channel without distorting it. Because Fairchild TV is broadcasted as 4:3 format, please do not broadcast it as 16:9 to customers as for Channel 36. Furthermore, the signal is not consistent as Fairchild TV East (Channel 36) is broadcasted as 16:9 format while Fairchild West (Channel 751) is broadcasted as 4:3 format (which is the undistorted format I requested).

BTW, I have opened a service ticket with Roger Support for more than a month and the only response I got was that they could not reproduce the problem.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersZia  / @CommunityHelps  Can you confirm the findings in my previous post?

On Ignite TV, with "Settings > Device Settings > Video Display > Zoom" set to "None", 4:3 SD channels should display as a "square picture" with sidebars on a widescreen TV.  Channel 751 (FAIRW) displays correctly.  For some reason, Channels 36 and 750 (FAIR) display horizontally stretched, regardless of the Zoom setting.  We need to identify the reason for this discrepancy and correct it, if possible.

Thanks!

Hello, @kklee

We definitely want to investigate this further for you and review the notes on the ticket and re-escalate if needed. Please send us a Private Message so we can pull up your info and take a closer look at this for you. Not familiar with our Private Messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

@-G-, Thanks so much for your diligence on this matter, we will definitely do some testing on our end and try to find a solution for this.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

temp10
I've been here awhile

Yes I did browse the thread. I've tried all 3 zoom options on my TV. It is still stretched horizontally no matter which option.

And I don't get your suggested solution. All my other channels work on 'Full' zoom. But you want me to change my zoom each time I change to channel 36? And then change it back when I change to another channel? That doesn't make much sense why only this one channel is different.

@-G-, thank you for looking into the issue and explaining it also.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@temp10  To clarify, I was referring to the Zoom setting on your Rogers Ignite TV set-top box, not the zoom or auto-zoom setting on your TV.

Press the "Rogers" menu button and click on the "gear" to go into settings.  (or use voice commands and say "Settings")  Then go to "Device Settings > Video Display > Zoom" and set it to None

Once you do this, 4:3 SD channels (such as Fairchild) should look "square"... or it will once Rogers gets this problem fixed.  Right now, channel 751 (Fairchild West) displays correctly but channel 36 (Fairchild East) is stretched.

The Zoom setting does not affect HD channels, so I always leave it set to None.  It only affects whether or not SD channels get stretched by the set-top box to eliminate the side bars and fill up the entire TV screen.

bigdddd
I've been around
I have switched to ignite TV yesterday and I have the same problem as well. CH 750 always display as zone no matter what the zoom setting is set at.

kklee
I plan to stick around

It seems the problem has been fixed today. Both Channel 36 and 750 display as 4:3 and black strips at the side. The image is not distorted in proportion. If I want the zoom, I can set the Auto Zoom setting to full. Thank you very much for all support from Rogers!

kklee
I plan to stick around

Thank you Rogers for fixing the auto-zoom problem but there is still an annoying issue. When I first turned on the TV, Channel 36 or 751 will still be shown as 16:9. I have to switch to another channel and switch back in order to see Channel 36 or 751 in 4:3 format. How can this problem be fixed? Thanks.

Hello again, @kklee

You're most welcome! We're glad that the original issue you were experiencing has been resolved.

I can see how this new issue can be inconvenient. Can you please attempt a reboot of the Ignite TV box via the Troubleshooting settings?

Let us know if issues are persistent after a reboot.

RogersTony

kklee
I plan to stick around

I have unplugged the power cord to the Ignite TV boxes a few times before and the problem still exist. Note that if I watch Channel 36, switch off and switch on the TV after a short time (say an hour), Channel 36 will still be of 4:3 format. However, if I switch on the TV overnight, Channel 36 will become 16:9 and I have to switch to another channel and switch back to Channel 36 to get back to 4:3 format.

Hello, @kklee.

Thank you for power cycling the set-top boxes. Please send us a PM so we can have our backend team investigate the issue for you. Thank you for your patience. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

kklee
I plan to stick around

After almost 5 months with both Channel 36 and 751 display as 4:3 and black strips at the side and the image was not distorted in proportion, the problem occurred again starting last night July 16, 2020. Channel 36 was always auto-zoom while Channel 751 displayed correctly as 4:3. Could somebody investigate what has happened last night that bought back the problem? Thanks.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
usually to have someone investigate or RE-investigate an issue you need to call into customer service or open a request to them thru contacting them via chat/private message. a public post on a form will not open an investigation from them but fortunately will get their attention and they may contact you or tell you how to reach them to open the investigation

kklee
I plan to stick around

Channel 36 was suddenly changed back to 4:3 format as I am watching TV today August 4, 2020 around 5:00PM. I don't know what has been done in the Rogers back office but I hope the problem of auto zoom will not be re-occurred again in the future. Thanks for all the support.

Topic Stats
  • 57 replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 12 in conversation