Emergency Alerts on Ignite TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Emergency Alerts on Ignite TV

Okay, this is kinda annoying.  @CommunityHelps  , do you know if there are any plans to fix Emergency Alerts on Ignite TV?  There is no way to stop or cancel the Alert Ready message that is being displayed (and read aloud at full volume) and it also takes a while for streaming to resume again.   Furthermore, because the stream restarted, the program that I had been watching was no longer "in the buffer" so you cannot rewind to watch the parts of the program that you missed.

I had also already seen it (multiple times!) ON EVERY OTHER CONNECTED DEVICE in my home so there was no need for me to see (and hear) the message yet again, in its entirety, in both official languages on-screen.  At least this one was only 4 pages long.

I also raised this issue during the "Ask an Expert" event a few months ago and had hoped that it would have been resolved already.  However, it appears that nothing has been done to date.

Highlighted

Re: Emergency Alerts on Ignite TV

Good evening @-G-,

Thank you for your post! We value your feedback greatly. 

An emergency alert system (EAS) message was sent to all Ontario residents via mobile devices, radio and TVs regarding COVID-19. I can imagine how annoying this must be if you were watching TV at the time.

Our Ignite TV team is looking into this to see what can be done while taking into consideration the set limitations of AlertReady Guidelines. Unfortunately, we do not have any more information on how to exit the Emergency Alert message while displayed. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause you.

Thank you for understanding!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMaude wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not have any more information on how to exit the Emergency Alert message while displayed. 

On Digital Cable it is possible to hit the Exit key and exit the alert on all but the oldest STBs.  It should be possible to do the same on IgniteTV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@RogersMaude wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not have any more information on how to exit the Emergency Alert message while displayed. 

On Digital Cable it is possible to hit the Exit key and exit the alert on all but the oldest STBs.  It should be possible to do the same on IgniteTV.

I remember falling asleep with the TV on one night and then an 8-page Amber Alert started blaring at 2 AM.  Went scrambling looking for the remote... finally found it... couldn't cancel it, and then ran over and pulled the power plug.  (Yes, I know I probably had better options but I wasn't thinking very clearly under the circumstances.)

With Fibe TV, an Alert Ready message can be cancelled simply by pressing the Exit button on the remote.  The programming isn't interrupted in any way either.

With Ignite TV, there is no "off switch" or any way to cancel the message; you have no choice but to wait for it to run its course, however long it may be.  Also, if you do want to see what's in the message, there is no way to "go back" to a previous page or to see the message in its entirety in Notifications.

@RogersMaude  Thank you very much for bringing this issue to the attention of the product team!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I was watching the news channel when today's was on at 2pm, there was no way to cancel it. Not exit, last. ...nothing.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:  It should be possible to do the same on IgniteTV.

Perhaps my previous post was not clear. What I meant to say was Rogers should make it possible to hit a key to stop the alert.  In the meantime it's possible to silence the alert in the TV or AVR by hitting the volume or mute button that controls that device and then you're only left with the message on screen.  Of course when the loud Klaxon goes off, it adversely affects the thought processes of many people and they may not think clearly about what to do...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@57 wrote:  It should be possible to do the same on IgniteTV.

Perhaps my previous post was not clear. What I meant to say was Rogers should make it possible to hit a key to stop the alert.  In the meantime it's possible to silence the alert in the TV or AVR by hitting the volume or mute button that controls that device and then you're only left with the message on screen.  Of course when the loud Klaxon goes off, it adversely affects the thought processes of many people and they may not think clearly about what to do...

We knew what you meant... and yeah, that kind of alert tone really should only be used in actual emergency situations where I need to take immediate action to save my life; nothing else.  I know that Rogers is only following the rules set out by the CRTC but Rogers can still come up with a better, more sensible implementation and still remain compliant.

I wonder if Ignite TV is using existing code for sending a "Presidential Alert" that (in a proper implementation) is only meant be used in situations where the world is literally about to come to an end.