cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Home phone keeps lighting up cordless handset when not in use

omegaqa
I've been here awhile

This started happening a month ago for no apparent reason. Every 15-20 minutes all of our cordless handsets screens light up when the phone is not in use. Is Rogers spying on our phone or testing something. This never happened before. It's a bit creepy.

We have a Motorola L704 DECT 6 system so I don't think our WIFI is causing any issues. The problem stops when I disconnect the phone jack that connects to our internal phone wiring (this in turn connects to the cordless base station) from the Ignite box so the issue seems to be originating from the Rogers Ignite box.

I have fully done a cold restart of everything but the problem persists.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ignite Home phone keeps lighting up cordless handset when not in use

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@omegaqa  You might see that happen if the modem reboots; voltage drops on the phone line and your phone might display that the line is in use.  However, if the modem had rebooted, you would have also lost Wi-Fi and Internet connectivity at the same time.

You said that the Ignite gateway is connected to your home's telephone wiring.  If you previously had Bell Home Phone, did you disconnect the old incoming Bell line from your in-home wiring?  It is critical that you do this.  If you did not, the voltage on the telephone line would be out of spec, your phone system may not know how to interpret that, and you could run into all sorts of weird issues as well.  (If you disconnect the Ignite gateway's telephone connection, do any of the phones show a message, such as "No service"?  If not, then if you take one of your telephones off hook, do you get a dial tone or hear a hum/buzz/any sound on the line?)

omegaqa
I've been here awhile
There is no physical connection to the original Bell line.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@omegaqa wrote:
There is no physical connection to the original Bell line.

Okay, that's good.  I'm not sure what else could be causing this issue.  Did you plug in any new telephones?  Just wondering if one of your phones could be going off-hook to check for a stuttered dial tone to see if you have voicemail waiting.

Do you also still see the same problem if you connect only the base station for your cordless phone system into the Ignite gateway... and directly, not through your in-home telephone wiring?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a quick note to let you know that I occasionally see an "in use" light on my Aastra 390 phone in my office.  It's perhaps once every few days, but certainly not every 20 minutes or so.  I never found out the cause, but I thought it could be someone calling and then deciding not to talk, and not staying on long enough for the phone to ring or call display to register anything.  Perhaps a robocall of some sort?  Once I saw the in use light come on when someone somehow left me a message (I believe a text to talk), again when I wasn't actually on the line.

As suggested by @G.  Try connecting the base directly to the Ignite Gateway Modem to see if that helps.  I'm on legacy digital cable, not Ignite.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation