cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Gateway must be placed in Basement?

fhjg
I've been here awhile

Good morning, I hope everyone's having a nice Father's day.

I'm wondering if someone is encountering the same problem as me. I switched from legacy internet and homephone to Ignite internet/homephone. I've been provided with an XB7. However, because I have a landline-dependent home alarm system that connected to my old phone modem in the basement, the XB7 theoretically has to be in the same spot in the basement. In terms of wifi signal, this is probably the worst location in the house to put it.

I'd like to put the XB7 on the main floor of this house. My question is, does anyone know if it's possible to purchase something like an extension cord for the alarm system telephone jack in the basement so I can fish it upstairs to the main floor where the XB7 is?

Thanks for the help!

*** Edited Labels ***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ignite Gateway must be placed in Basement?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fhjg what you're looking for is phone line cord, something like this:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/phone-cords/21324

The RCA 25 and 50 cords are probably what you're looking for.

https://www.staples.ca/collections/telephone-accessories-7377

https://www.amazon.ca/Telephone-Cable/s?k=Telephone+Cable

The other way to do this is to identify the telephone cable that runs from the location on the main floor, and disconnect that cable where it connects to the telephone system in the basement.  Install an RJ-11 jack on that cable and then connect that to the alarm system.  The drawback is that you would lose the telephone port at the main floor location for any use in the telephone system.  You can get around that by installing a two way telephone splitter on the tel 1 port at the back of the modem.  The splitter can be seen on the amazon.ca link above.  That would work, but, it means that the alarm system wouldn't be able to take over the telephone line if someone was using that particular phone.  

If you can manage to snake a line from the main floor location to the basement alarm location, that would be a better solution.  Fishing the telephone cable up, with the connector installed might be rather difficult, so, installing an RJ-11 connector on the cable isn't terribly difficult, just need an RJ-11 connector or two and a compression tool to install the connector.  With those on hand, you can cut the connector off of the cable so that fishing the cable is easier to accomplish.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=cable+compression+tool+rj-11&ref=nb_sb_noss

And, if you decide to buy connectors and a crimping tool, you can simply buy Cat 3 telephone cable or Cat 5e or Cat 6 ethernet and fish that up from the basement.  Fish the cable, install the connectors at both ends .... done.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
There is actually a proper (but more complex) way of doing this where the ignite modem gateway can be in the main floor or upstairs and still allow your monitored alarm system to operate.

It does not require buying those telephone line cords but it does involve inspecting the existing phone jacks and re-wiring them up slightly different. It also involves some wiring modifications to the RJ31X jack that seizes the phone line when your alarm needs to communicate.

I have done this before but it's definately not a DIY thing and don't expect Rogers installers to do this for you as part of their basic installation. Lets Leave these complex installs to the professionals. But yes it's possible to do but you would need to hire the right contractor to do it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's what I would vote for, personal opinion, but, fishing a line does work, if you can easily do that. 

fhjg
I've been here awhile

Thanks @Datalink and @Pauly for your suggestions! They've given me an idea that maybe will work.

1) Disconnect alarm cable from back of old phone modem in basement.

2) Plug the alarm cable into this coupler instead.

3) Plug 50ft telephone cord into other end of coupler. This telephone cord will be fished down from my XB7 situated on the main floor. Easiest option for me since my basement is unfinished and I already have other cables fished down from the main floor spot.

4) Connect this telephone splitter onto back of XB7. The 50ft telephone cord will plug into one port, and my home phone handset will plug into the other port.

Hopefully this works as I imagine many people similar to me were required to place their Gateway in their basement due to their home alarm system.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Here is my advice: Choose a bedroom or any room for that matter where you want the ignite gateway connected to. Find the telephone plug on the wall, and unscrew it and check how many wires are there. Most likely there would be 4 wires (2 pairs) If this is correct, you can proceed to step 2.

Step 2 is to buy a double phone jack wall plate, you put the red/green pair on one jack, and you put the black/yellow pair on the bottom jack.

connect the rogers phone modem Tel 1 to the jack with the black/yellow pair.

Go to your basement where your patch panel is, find the black/yellow pair, Cross connect that to the top two screws of the RJ31x Alarm jack, then the bottom two screws of the alarm RJ31 Jack cross connect it to the red/green pair of your punch down block.

Then now your wires are nice and neat and you now used the existing wires in your wall to send phone signal to the alarm, and used another pair to send the phone signal back to the inside jacks throughout your house

now in the same bedroom where the double jack is, you can connect an unused phone to the unused wall jack port, and all the wall jacks in your house will be taken over if your alarm needs to communicate even if u leave a phone off the hook.

Wolfe412
I've been around

The only instructions were place one within 20 feet of your modem and the other two The setup was interesting log into your rogers account on the ignite WiFi app and The Ignite modem is basically just acting as a router so I should be able to I am moving to my basement, where I have no CAT-5 or ethernet available.

@Wolfe412 it looks like your post has been moved to this thread, so the original title to your post has been lost.  Can you provide further details about the problems that you're running into.  

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation