cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone Not Working

laforan
I've been around

Hi i live on King George hwy , Miramichi ,N B and have not home phone service since last nite at 5:00 . it started acting up on Thursday but went completely dead last evening . What is wrong .. this is crazy !!!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Home Phone Not Working

This is one reason rogers segrigates the signals on the lines, seperate for internet, phone, tv..  so if one thing goes down, they dont necessarily ALL go down.

First thing to try.. would be to reset the phone modem.
This can be a little tricky, as they have a battery backup.
If it doesnt have a reset button itself... try poping out the battery as well as the power.. then let it boot back up and see if it works.

Beyond that.. you have to CALL in to see if there is an outage, etc.... which can be hard if you dont have a cell, etc 😞

(they really need to ADD home phone to the livechat tech support)

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Bdr382000
I've been around

My home phone is not working in newfoundland

RogersMahmood
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello laforan,

Are you still having issues with your home phone? If so please reach out to us either through our Facebook wall or Twitter account. 

Thanks

Mahmood

Satishkannan
I've been here awhile

Please contact your network service provider.

kittycat1
I've been around

Phone went out last night  but cable and inter net ok   this is more  than frustrateing

This is one reason rogers segrigates the signals on the lines, seperate for internet, phone, tv..  so if one thing goes down, they dont necessarily ALL go down.

First thing to try.. would be to reset the phone modem.
This can be a little tricky, as they have a battery backup.
If it doesnt have a reset button itself... try poping out the battery as well as the power.. then let it boot back up and see if it works.

Beyond that.. you have to CALL in to see if there is an outage, etc.... which can be hard if you dont have a cell, etc 😞

(they really need to ADD home phone to the livechat tech support)

fr2
I've been around

ROGERS CAME AUGUST 05 TO DO A INSTALL AT MY NEW APARTMENT. PHONE IS NOT WORKING.CAME AT 10 AM. LEFT TICKET# c1249702207 .IT HAS BEEN 31 HOURS AND I NEED MY PHONE.  

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@fr2

@fr2 wrote:

ROGERS CAME AUGUST 05 TO DO A INSTALL AT MY NEW APARTMENT. PHONE IS NOT WORKING.CAME AT 10 AM. LEFT TICKET# c1249702207 .IT HAS BEEN 31 HOURS AND I NEED MY PHONE.  

Call Rogers tech support and report the issue. On the home phone Modem are the lights flashing? You could reboot the home phone modem and see if that helps, but most likely a call to tech support is needed. You can also send a PM to @CommunityHelps asking for assistance.

Tmothy12
I'm a reliable contributor

On the home phone modem, the port Telephone 2 has no dial tone, only 1/2 does. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, the phones plugged directly into the phone jacks around the house can make outgoing calls but can't receive them, is that supposed to happen?

Hello, @Tmothy12

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The 2nd telephone port will only be active if there are two phone lines enabled on your account. If your 2nd phone line is not working please send us a PM so that we can investigate the issue. 

As for not able to able receive the calls, have you tried plugging the phone directly into the port labeled 1/2 at the modem to see if the calls can be received? If you are able to receive the calls when the phone is plugged directly into the modem indicates some internal wiring issue. 

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Tmothy12

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @Tmothy12

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The 2nd telephone port will only be active if there are two phone lines enabled on your account. If your 2nd phone line is not working please send us a PM so that we can investigate the issue. 

As for not able to able receive the calls, have you tried plugging the phone directly into the port labeled 1/2 at the modem to see if the calls can be received? If you are able to receive the calls when the phone is plugged directly into the modem indicates some internal wiring issue. 

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm very confused by this whole thing. When you say two lines do you mean like Call Waiting?

So you are supposed to be able to receive incoming calls from any phone jack in the house? What does the modem do then? And yes, incoming calls only work on the 1/2 port on the modem. 

Hello, @Tmothy12

By the 2nd line, I mean another phone number like a dedicated fax line. So basically the modem is capable of 2 phone lines. Like, say Line A - 416 123 4567 and Line B - 416 767 4321. So when you have the 2nd line then the 2nd port on the modem will be active otherwise only port 1/2 is active. 

There may be some wiring issues which is preventing you to receive calls from the phone jacks in the house. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

Tmothy12

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @Tmothy12

By the 2nd line, I mean another phone number like a dedicated fax line. So basically the modem is capable of 2 phone lines. Like, say Line A - 416 123 4567 and Line B - 416 767 4321. So when you have the 2nd line then the 2nd port on the modem will be active otherwise only port 1/2 is active. 

There may be some wiring issues which is preventing you to receive calls from the phone jacks in the house. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

@I've been trying to log in here for hours but I couldn't because of maintenance. In the mean time I went on Twitter and asked @RogersHelps they said "The phone would need to be connected to the home phone modem. If you have cordless phones you can use these throughout the home but the main phone base needs to be connected to the jack on the modem. 

So it appears that the number 2 port is working correctly.  Don't really know what's going on with the jacks around the house though. Conflicting information, I wonder if the number port isn't fully complete or something. I wish there were instructions on how you can use Rogers Home Phone.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12:

It sounds like something is wired incorrectly in your home.  The Rogers Modem should be properly connected to the "wiring block" of all your phone lines in your home and all the phones in your home should work properly when connected to the various home phone jacks throughout your home.

It is not necessary, for example, to have a cordless phone base connected directly to the modem.  I have all kinds of corded phones (and cordless phone bases) connected to various phone jacks around the home (as they were with Bell POTS) and they all work fine.

Tmothy12

@57 wrote:

@Tmothy12:

It sounds like something is wired incorrectly in your home.  The Rogers Modem should be properly connected to the "wiring block" of all your phone lines in your home and all the phones in your home should work properly when connected to the various home phone jacks throughout your home.

It is not necessary, for example, to have a cordless phone base connected directly to the modem.  I have all kinds of corded phones (and cordless phone bases) connected to various phone jacks around the home (as they were with Bell POTS) and they all work fine.

Yeah, the rep on Twitter could be mistaken as I can make outgoing calls from any jack. They just don't ring when someone calls. 

The installer physically moved the wireless phone base to plug it directly into the modem and left it there. Don't know if that was just to test it or not. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

"The phone would need to be connected to the home phone modem. If you have cordless phones you can use these throughout the home but the main phone base needs to be connected to the jack on the modem. 

This information is absolutely wrong.  My adapter is plugged into a dual jack that Rogers tech installed - the one jack is there to plug the ATA modem for the phone system into, and then the jack crosses over into the wiring to be carried through all jacks in the home.

The twitter person to suggest that it has to be on the modem is absolutely incorrect - my main base is in my kitchen, the modem is in the basement.

Either wiring issue in your home, but if you have had a previous phone system operating on it, doubtful.

It is a standard POTS setup coming from the digital adapter/modem - it seems that there are techs out there who do not know how standard plain old telephone wiring works or how to junction from one jack to another.  If you have worked in this model before, it is a no brainer.

In the hurricane damage reports in Florida, a telephone guy mentioned that they were re establishing connections on POTS, because the digital systems were damaged in the storms and required power to run, but they were having to train most of the people as they had no understanding of POTS.

So call for tech support to do a site test and setup - worst thing that happens is that you have internal damage in your lines, and you pay for that, but most likely, they hooked into the home lines wrong - you can't just plug them into an existing jack  - the polarity will be backwards.

Good luck with it.

Bruce

Tmothy12

@BS wrote:

"The phone would need to be connected to the home phone modem. If you have cordless phones you can use these throughout the home but the main phone base needs to be connected to the jack on the modem." 

This information is absolutely wrong.  My adapter is plugged into a dual jack that Rogers tech installed - the one jack is there to plug the ATA modem for the phone system into, and then the jack crosses over into the wiring to be carried through all jacks in the home.

The twitter person to suggest that it has to be on the modem is absolutely incorrect - my main base is in my kitchen, the modem is in the basement.

Either wiring issue in your home, but if you have had a previous phone system operating on it, doubtful.

It is a standard POTS setup coming from the digital adapter/modem - it seems that there are techs out there who do not know how standard plain old telephone wiring works or how to junction from one jack to another.  If you have worked in this model before, it is a no brainer.

In the hurricane damage reports in Florida, a telephone guy mentioned that they were re establishing connections on POTS, because the digital systems were damaged in the storms and required power to run, but they were having to train most of the people as they had no understanding of POTS.

So call for tech support to do a site test and setup - worst thing that happens is that you have internal damage in your lines, and you pay for that, but most likely, they hooked into the home lines wrong - you can't just plug them into an existing jack  - the polarity will be backwards.

Good luck with it.

Bruce

Thanks for explaining how it's supposed to work. I guess the Twitter rep was mistaken. I'll look into it.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, every home is still being wired, even new with regular copper POTS wiring setups, along with Ethernet.

It is actually not a good practice to have your phone system dependent upon only a wireless base.  In a power outage, you will have no phone access, unless you have an old phone to plug in.  

In the worst case scenario of lost power, Bell POTS will provide service as long as their backup generators are running charging batteries at the switching locations, and even on the Roger's Home Phone, you will get around 2-4 hours on the battery backup in the ATA, but if you don't have a standard POTS run hooked up and you only have a wireless home phone, you are out of luck.  We have 5 jacks in our home, one is the cross over jack for the ATA to the home lines, and we keep one standard phone in the house that does not require power to run, at least until the ATA battery runs out.

Yes, the Twitter guy was misinformed - there was an extensive discussion including a long term Nortel guy who explained all the in and outs of how POTS versus digital works, and the pros and cons of both.

POTS is about 100 years old as a technology or more, exists in almost all homes, but many people think that it is dead (far from it, and I recommend that you always keep it set up and don't rely on a wireless base only).

Hope others read this discussion, as this is not the first time that this question has come up.

Rogers could stand to have a FAQ on telephone line connection to Rogers home phone, as well as setting up a Fax, the other one that many new techs get wrong - even I got those jacks switched the last time I moved mine, but I know what to look for when it doesn't work.

Glad to be of help.

Bruce

Posaidon67
I've been around

Phone terminal is off, but everything is connected

Hello @Posaidon67,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Not having a working phone is frustrating, to say the least. I know how important it is to have a reliable phone service. 

I hope you were able to resolve this matter since you last posted. If you haven't we definitely want to help you get back online. Can you provide us with a bit more information about what is happening? When you say the Phone Terminal are you referring to the Rogers Home Phone Modem? If so are there no lights at all on the unit, not even the power light is lit up?

Please keep us posted and we will ensure your Home Phone service is restored.

RogersTony

Tmothy12

@57 wrote:

@Tmothy12:

One year later update since this was only fixed just now as the security system started making noise as the old phone line had finally become inactive since switching home phone to Rogers a year ago. Called security company who said to call Rogers. Called Rogers and they booked an installer that never arrived. Called again days after and got it rescheduled. The installer came and unplugged the modem from the cordless base and moved it to the basement and installed it properly allowing all phone jacks to start working properly and reconnecting the security system. Told us the previous installer did it incorrectly. A lot of hassle but finally fixed.

Topic Stats