Does rogers home phone support fax and home alarms?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Does rogers home phone support fax and home alarms?

So how does it work and do you get a distinguished ring?
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @dcm1213

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Forums.

Distinctive Ring allows a single telephone line to accept incoming calls for more than one phone number. The line will ring differently when a call comes in for each of the numbers linked to the original line.

RogersSannecia

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is an add on.

Depending on your plan/package, you would have to pay to add it on.

When you get it, you would get a different number... BUT it would come in on the same line.
It would have a different ring.  (one long, two short i beleive by default?)

From there, you would need to put in the fax machine settings.. for it to only pick up on distincitve ring.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

What product from Rogers WILL support fax?

Highlighted

Greetings @MyAxman,

Thanks for posting your query in the Rogers Community Forums!

As mentioned by a few folks in this thread, our Rogers Home Phone service is compatible with fax machines. You may use the service with a fax machine on it's own or you may wish to add our Distinctive Ring feature on for $6/month. The Distinctive Ring feature provides a virtual phone number that will ring through to the same telephone line it is added to with a different ring pattern than the standard ring pattern (if available on the telephone unit being used). This is how you'll be able to tell a voice call from an incoming fax transmission.

I can also confirm that our newer Ignite Home Phone service is also compatible with fax machines, however, no add-on is needed. You would simply plug the Ignite Home Phone line directly into your fax line.

I hope this information is useful! 😊

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I found that when I plugged in my HP Printer/fax it was unable to send nor receive. The printer answered the call but sender got a communications failure

Are there parameters that need to be tweaked

Highlighted

Hello @MyAxman,

Sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble with receiving your faxes. 😟

May I confirm which type of home phone service you have active with us? Is it one of our cable home phone packages or is it our Ignite home phone service? 

If you have one of our cable home phone packages along with our Distinctive Ring add on, please have a look at this helpful troubleshooting article: 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/distinctive-ring-fax-machine-issues

Let us know if this helps! 🙂

RogersLaura

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I lived with my parents we had Rogers cable home phone, and It worked with my home alarm system as well as my fax machine.

I did not fax often nor did i need to receive faxes, so I did not need to have a separate fax number and it still worked.

Hey @Pauly,

Thanks for that! I wasn't entirely sure if Distinctive Ring was a requirement or just a helpful add-on. I appreciate you clearing that up! I shall edit my post accordingly. 👍 

Any ideas why @MyAxman's faxes wouldn't be working properly? Any insight or advice you can provide would be awesome! 😊

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Distinctive ring is just to give your fax machine a different number and different ring pattern on the same phone jack as your regular home number so the fax will know when a incoming call is for the fax to answer, otherwise if you dont have it, if the fax machine set to answer it will answer every call including your aunt mary and uncle benny calling you and they will hear the fax squeal.