cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

triggerman9
I'm here a lot

Just got the Ignite router/modem installed and the Home Phone option. The router/modem got connected to the Cable input and the ONE phone jack in my home office where my old phone was connected. How do I now connect my phone to the router so I can use it. I don't have another phone line jack. Thx

*** Edited Labels *** 

51 REPLIES 51

Re: Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- wrote:  Another attempt was connecting the telephone line splitter to the wall plate, then plugging the phone into one connection and the gateway's telephone port into the other.

I don't believe that works because the splitter has no internal cross-connection so you cannot go "into" one of the two-ports and "out" of the other two-port.  You can only go "through" the splitter, not "across".  See my post above for what does work.

With a simple, single-line splitter, it's very simple wiring -- Tip and Ring, respectively, on all the connections are tied together.  You can even use these things as a "coupler" to join two telephone line cords together.

Of course, you need to make sure that this is what you have... not something that breaks a multi-line wall jack into separate lines, or one that has a DSL filter on one connection, etc.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

connecting the splitter to the wall plate will work. as -G- stated, you are just combining the tip signal of all 3 points, and the ring signal of all 3 points,   there is no in or out, its just male or female, the signal travels in all directions

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hold on a sec everyone, the user said "I get dead air or sometimes goes straight to voicemail."  I know  you want to help out the user but this problem could actually be network related and not related to the wiring at all.  The very fact the user can plug the phone in and hear dial tone is a good indication the wiring is working good already. We are forgetting that "I get dead air or sometimes goes straight to voicemail." could be a network issue, so lets let have the user to contact rogers and rule out thar problem first.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

connecting the splitter to the wall plate will work. as -G- stated, you are just combining the tip signal of all 3 points, and the ring signal of all 3 points,   there is no in or out, its just male or female, the signal travels in all directions

You are the phone expert and you are correct. I just tested this setup.  I did not realize that the signal would "cross" between the double end of the splitter. 

@Pauly wrote:  so lets let have the user to contact rogers and rule out that (network) problem first.

I'm not sure I would do this "first" since contacting Rogers and having them do anything is an exercise in significant time and frustration currently.

The first thing I would do, since it only takes a minute, is to simplify the connections to a single phone directly connected to the Gateway's phone port. If this works correctly, I doubt if there is a network problem. If this doesn't work correctly, then there may be a network (or Bell signal, or wiring) issue.

I believe that @DougW tried that and said it did work....  See link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/Connecting-home-phone-to-Ignite-Router/m-p/515752/h...

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you can pick up a phone extension and hear dial tone and place a call, then that is a sure sign you have connected it correctly to your inside wiring.  If a call is placed to your number, and it gets dead air or goes to voicemail, those are not typically symptoms you would notice with an incorrect inside wire hookup, those are likely issues originating from the network level, or the number is not completely ported/provisioned over or something in the back end has not been programmed completely.

Sadly calling them is the only way to resolve such issues despite it being an exercise in significant time and frustration currently.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly I agree.  See my post here where I suggested testing to be done with a single telephone directly connected to the gateway.  Those test should confirm whether or not the service is provisioned correctly, and whether signalling (loop start on the eMTA FXO port; SIP, DOCSIS, VoIP/PacketCable to the switch and media gateways in the backend) and cleanup on call termination is working correctly.

As I understand it, the problems occur when the gateway is connected to the in-home telephone wiring.

Having the Bell (or other) service still connected (even if there is no dial tone, Bell can still be putting voltage on the line, which (with the eMTA also providing battery and dial tone) will mess up loop start) can cause any of a number of problems, including all the ones that @DougW reported.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes I have seen that issue in the past. Some older homes do not have a modular demarcation jack, so even if you port out your number, the pair of wires still has voltage on it (we call that battery) and in some cases may even still produce a dialtone (usually dry loops) 

If you have modular demarc, you can physically unplug your bell provider from your inside wiring, otherwise its a good idea to add one and does not hurt, and can be helpful for troubleshooting

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to be clear, @DougW should go to the demarcation point in his home and disconnect any phone wire coming into the home from the terminal block that is probably there feeding the various jacks in the home.  This should also take very little time.

If there is no terminal block, @DougW should post a photo of what is installed where the phone line comes into the home.

DougW
I plan to stick around
I believe you gave me the right answer. Disconnected a phone cable in my basement and I think it's working.
Will check a few more things, but your suggestion nay have solved my issue.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DougW wrote:
I believe you gave me the right answer. Disconnected a phone cable in my basement and I think it's working.
Will check a few more things, but your suggestion nay have solved my issue.

You're welcome! 😉

Topic Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 12 in conversation