cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Your Cables

RogersMoin

Hello, @57.

Thank you for another helpful post along with the checklist to troubleshoot the cable issues.

We appreciate your continuous contribution to our Community!

Regards,
RogersMoin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Check Your Cables

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have IgniteTV with my phones connected to the gateway as follows:  I have a phone splitter plugged into the gateway with one side of the splitter feeding a desk phone sitting near the gateway and the other side of the splitter (back) feeding the phone jacks in my home.  This has been working fine until recently.

Recently I stated having some "static" on the line, which I thought was due to some interference on Rogers side.  It started getting so bad that I couldn't hear the other person well.  Also, sometimes the call display would not work on my cordless phones.

I unplugged the splitter and fed my desk phone directly from the gateway. The static was gone and call display worked, so I thought the issue was with the phone splitter, but when I plugged the cable that feeds my home jacks in directly without the splitter, the static returned, so the splitter was obviously fine.

I went around the house unplugging and replugging various phones to isolate the problem.  When I got to the last telephone cable that feeds my cordless phone base, the static went away (it's always the last thing you check that's the problem).  I replaced that telephone cable and all is working properly again. When I looked at one end of the cable, it had oxidation on it while the other end had nice clean copper.  That cable had been in use for about 13 years at least. It was interesting that the one poor connection affected all phones in the home (not just the cordless ones)

So, if you are having any issues, be they phone, or HDMI, or Ethernet, or other connection, be sure to check your cables and try another cable if possible.  Here's an FAQ I wrote on the topic of "Things to check" long ago and most of it still applies:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-things-to-check-first.19694/#post-151346

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Check Your Cables

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have IgniteTV with my phones connected to the gateway as follows:  I have a phone splitter plugged into the gateway with one side of the splitter feeding a desk phone sitting near the gateway and the other side of the splitter (back) feeding the phone jacks in my home.  This has been working fine until recently.

Recently I stated having some "static" on the line, which I thought was due to some interference on Rogers side.  It started getting so bad that I couldn't hear the other person well.  Also, sometimes the call display would not work on my cordless phones.

I unplugged the splitter and fed my desk phone directly from the gateway. The static was gone and call display worked, so I thought the issue was with the phone splitter, but when I plugged the cable that feeds my home jacks in directly without the splitter, the static returned, so the splitter was obviously fine.

I went around the house unplugging and replugging various phones to isolate the problem.  When I got to the last telephone cable that feeds my cordless phone base, the static went away (it's always the last thing you check that's the problem).  I replaced that telephone cable and all is working properly again. When I looked at one end of the cable, it had oxidation on it while the other end had nice clean copper.  That cable had been in use for about 13 years at least. It was interesting that the one poor connection affected all phones in the home (not just the cordless ones)

So, if you are having any issues, be they phone, or HDMI, or Ethernet, or other connection, be sure to check your cables and try another cable if possible.  Here's an FAQ I wrote on the topic of "Things to check" long ago and most of it still applies:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-things-to-check-first.19694/#post-151346

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation