Notifications

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Notifications

This morning I had 10 email notifications for replies in topics I'm following. I usually start by clicking one of the email links to get to the Forum, then the Sign In icon at the top, then my avatar at the top, which shows I have 4 notifications. Why does the Forum just show me 4 notifications when my emails show me all 10?

(It's not that I can't still find the new messages, I just want to know why the difference.)

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Notifications

Okay, I may have figured out at least a partial answer to my own question. Email notifications are generated as soon as a reply is posted. By the time I sign in to the Forum, those replies will have been screened, edited, moved, duplicates removed or consolidated and inappropriate ones deleted.

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

That is correct @OLDYELLR!

Notification on email occur as the posts are generated. By the time you log in, if multiple users posted on the same thread, the notification will consolidate it as 1 alert.

A good thing to point out to fellow Community Forum users. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersShakir

I'm a Senior Advisor

I now see why some users disable email notifications and just go by the ones they get whenever they sign in.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there any way to only get one e-mail notification for each reply/post?  I have recently turned on e-mail notifications when I get mentioned.  Currently, if the poster goes back to edit a post, I get another e-mail each time the original post is edited. I got about a dozen "useless" e-mail notifications today.  This doesn't happen to me on other forums.

I also like to sometimes add a small edit to some of my posts, but I hate to bother people with additional e-mails, so sometimes I don't edit.

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

@57,

Are you getting the exact email twice? I've just tested it now and I am only getting 1 email.  Could it be that you are getting 2 emails due to you also being subscribed to the thread itself?

Let us know.

RogersRoland

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp generated the following useful post this afternoon, however, he edited it many times.  After each edit I got an another e-mail because I was mentioned in it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If I edit this post in the future, anyone asking for e-mails on this thread, or similar request (mentions, etc) will get several e-mails instead of one e-mail for my first post.

I hope that is more clear.

Edit - I have now edited this post, so anyone "subscribing to e-mail notifications" will get a second e-mail.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@robindp generated the following useful post this afternoon, however, he edited it many times.  After each edit I got an another e-mail because I was mentioned in it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If I edit this post in the future, anyone asking for e-mails on this thread, or similar request (mentions, etc) will get several e-mails instead of one e-mail for my first post.

I hope that is more clear.

Edit - I have now edited this post, so anyone "subscribing to e-mail notifications" will get a second e-mail.

I used to rely on email notifications for subscribed posts to this forum, but gave up because I get over 100 emails a day as it is. Instead, I disabled those (except for private messages) and just follow my Notifications on the board.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I used to rely on email notifications for subscribed posts to this forum, but gave up because I get over 100 emails a day as it is. Instead, I disabled those (except for private messages) and just follow my Notifications on the board.

I don't log in to this forum unless I find the need to reply to a post or start a new thread.  I may turn off the e-mail notifications again if Rogers cannot limit the e-mails as requested to one per post instead of one each time a post is edited.

If this forum worked like some other forums (Digital Home for example), I would stay logged in as I do at Digital Home, but it doesn't, so I don't use the notifications on the forum itself.

Over the past week I've been trying to optimize my settings on this forum, but each time I enable any sort of notification it actually causes me more work and takes more time than the way I have been operating - without any notifications and without logging in unless necessary.

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

@57

It seems my testing area did not trigger the emails last week, but I have just encountered the multiple email notifications now. It is strange indeed. I will need deep dive and see whether or not this can be retified or if there is another setting I can use for edited post. Will keep you guys posted.

RogersRoland

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation