cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

This morning I had 10 email notifications for replies in topics I'm following. I usually start by clicking one of the email links to get to the Forum, then the Sign In icon at the top, then my avatar at the top, which shows I have 4 notifications. Why does the Forum just show me 4 notifications when my emails show me all 10?

(It's not that I can't still find the new messages, I just want to know why the difference.)

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Notifications

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Okay, I may have figured out at least a partial answer to my own question. Email notifications are generated as soon as a reply is posted. By the time I sign in to the Forum, those replies will have been screened, edited, moved, duplicates removed or consolidated and inappropriate ones deleted.

That is correct @OLDYELLR!

Notification on email occur as the posts are generated. By the time you log in, if multiple users posted on the same thread, the notification will consolidate it as 1 alert.

A good thing to point out to fellow Community Forum users. 🙂

Cheers,

RogersShakir

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I now see why some users disable email notifications and just go by the ones they get whenever they sign in.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there any way to only get one e-mail notification for each reply/post?  I have recently turned on e-mail notifications when I get mentioned.  Currently, if the poster goes back to edit a post, I get another e-mail each time the original post is edited. I got about a dozen "useless" e-mail notifications today.  This doesn't happen to me on other forums.

I also like to sometimes add a small edit to some of my posts, but I hate to bother people with additional e-mails, so sometimes I don't edit.

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@57,

Are you getting the exact email twice? I've just tested it now and I am only getting 1 email.  Could it be that you are getting 2 emails due to you also being subscribed to the thread itself?

Let us know.

RogersRoland

@robindp generated the following useful post this afternoon, however, he edited it many times.  After each edit I got an another e-mail because I was mentioned in it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If I edit this post in the future, anyone asking for e-mails on this thread, or similar request (mentions, etc) will get several e-mails instead of one e-mail for my first post.

I hope that is more clear.

Edit - I have now edited this post, so anyone "subscribing to e-mail notifications" will get a second e-mail.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

@robindp generated the following useful post this afternoon, however, he edited it many times.  After each edit I got an another e-mail because I was mentioned in it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If I edit this post in the future, anyone asking for e-mails on this thread, or similar request (mentions, etc) will get several e-mails instead of one e-mail for my first post.

I hope that is more clear.

Edit - I have now edited this post, so anyone "subscribing to e-mail notifications" will get a second e-mail.

I used to rely on email notifications for subscribed posts to this forum, but gave up because I get over 100 emails a day as it is. Instead, I disabled those (except for private messages) and just follow my Notifications on the board.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I used to rely on email notifications for subscribed posts to this forum, but gave up because I get over 100 emails a day as it is. Instead, I disabled those (except for private messages) and just follow my Notifications on the board.

I don't log in to this forum unless I find the need to reply to a post or start a new thread.  I may turn off the e-mail notifications again if Rogers cannot limit the e-mails as requested to one per post instead of one each time a post is edited.

If this forum worked like some other forums (Digital Home for example), I would stay logged in as I do at Digital Home, but it doesn't, so I don't use the notifications on the forum itself.

Over the past week I've been trying to optimize my settings on this forum, but each time I enable any sort of notification it actually causes me more work and takes more time than the way I have been operating - without any notifications and without logging in unless necessary.

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@57

It seems my testing area did not trigger the emails last week, but I have just encountered the multiple email notifications now. It is strange indeed. I will need deep dive and see whether or not this can be retified or if there is another setting I can use for edited post. Will keep you guys posted.

RogersRoland

Just as an FYI, people still get multiple e-mail notifications if a post is edited, as discussed in this thread.  So, if I edit this post, anyone who "subscribes" to e-mail notifications for this thread will get a second e-mail on that edit and a third e-mail if I edit it again.  This should not happen in a well-run forum.

Another concern is that I do not get notified (in the forum notifications) if someone posts a lone question/comment  and then a Rogers mod moves it to a thread to which I am subscribed (I subscribe to threads where I am a participant).  I'm not sure if anything can be done about that, but it would be nice if I did get notification if a post gets moved into a thread to which I subscribe.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

That would explain why I see multiple duplicate notifications. After I go through the Notifications I check the forums I follow for new posts. But if a post gets moved to a forum I don't follow, I wouldn't see it. If one of my own posts gets moved to another forum, I do get a notification.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Numerous forum members keep posting in many unrelated threads they keep getting Post Edit notifications despite all they want is to be notified of New Posts ONLY in subscribed threads. Recently Post Edit options were even entirely removed from forum Settings, thus attempting to misrepresent this endless flow of Post Edit spam emails as New Post notices.  I don't believe this issue was ever solved. Thus I ask to remove "Solved" tag from this thread topic, since this tag is obviously misleading as different members outlined varying aspects of Notifications in this thread, and most remain unsolved.

Hope, they will be in fact solved shortly, since currently this issue of getting endless Post Edit notifications was escalated to Rogers Advisory Board. I believe the flow of Post Edit spam emails violates Canada Anti-spam Law, and is reportable (and will be reported shortly if continues) to Spam Reporting Center and CRTC. Its unfortunate, nothing was done to stop it for several years despite numerous forum staff promises to the opposite. 

PostEdit6.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there something wrong with Notifications today?  I have not received any notifications (the "Bell" on the website under my Icon, or my direct link to notifications) regarding posts today, despite there being "action" in some threads where I have participated.   Notifications were working fine yesterday.

I have "Automatically subscribe me to all topics or reviews I participate in" turned "on" and have not made any setting changes...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 I just signed in, 2 hours after you, and had notifications for topics I'm following.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks @OLDYELLR : I'm seeing notifications again. There must have been a glitch because I got a notification for one earlier thread, but there were two earlier 4K threads (one in TV, one in Accounts)  where I didn't get a notification. Those are the ones I remember - there may have been more.

I got notification for the recent PAYGo posts. (I know you follow that too.)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the past couple of days I've been getting a few e-mail notifications regarding "subscriptions". The thing is, these e-mails don't comply with my preferences under notifications and they seem to be somewhat random.  This has happened to me once or twice before. I hope this doesn't get out of hand because I don't want e-mail notifications for every new post...  

I've made sure of my preferences and "re-saved" those preferences hoping these superfluous e-mails stop.  I do subscribe to certain new posts (like mentions, etc)

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

For the past couple of days I've been getting a few e-mail notifications regarding "subscriptions". The thing is, these e-mails don't comply with my preferences under notifications and they seem to be somewhat random.

That's what I got this morning which prompted me to come here.  Annoying when I have email notifications turned off.

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor
I received one as well. It was a surprise as I too have email notifications turned off, at least I thought I did. Guess I better check and make sure .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It appears that Notifications aren't working properly.

1. I haven't received e-mail notifications since early yesterday, despite several "mentions" and "likes", to which I subscribe.

2. I also haven't received the appropriate notifications on this forum when I click the "bell" under my username avatar (or when I'm able to login using my notifications bookmark earlier today).  I've received the occasional one, but not all of them...

I guess this is being worked on as a result of the problems reported on the weekend with e-mails getting sent when they shouldn't?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Something is not quite right. Signing in this morning it froze, tried again and it worked, but no new notifications. I browsed the forums I follow and found new posts in threads I'm subscribed to. Sometimes the board was very slow responding.

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation