cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New interface for the Community.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I just signed in and and the interface has completely changed. Prettier, but less useful and difficult to navigate. What happened to the navigation panel on the right? How can I revert to the old interface?

*** Edited Labels/Title *** 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New interface for the Community.

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

The whole new format is a mess and really need to be redesigned and simplified.  Better still, just return to the old format.

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, this happened: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Blog/A-new-look-for-the-Community/ba-p/487311

I'm still getting used to the new look, trying to think about how the revised layout will work for new users (who are not familiar with the site, experiencing problems and looking for help) as well as experienced users, who may or may not be active contributors to the Community.

The new layout is pretty at first glance but the old one was more functional and quicker to navigate.  I don't know how usable this site will now be for users with disabilities, who use screen readers, alternate input devices, or who use keyboard navigation.  We do not even have an explicitly labelled "Sign in" button or even helpful descriptions in hover text until you log in.

I also really, REALLY do not like this teeny tiny input box for composing my reply.  This isn't Twitter.  It's not easy proof-reading a post as short as this one.

Whoever designed the new layout didn't actually USE it.  There is too much superfluous stuff on the page that I do not care about and that I wish I could turn off.  Too much white space, big banners, buttons that are too big, etc. but only 4 lines of text visible when composing or editing a reply.  I can see how this might be better for those casually browsing with a tablet or touchscreen interface.  However, I use a keyboard and mouse, and I read all new posts and actively post replies, and for me, the new design is not very usable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:  I also really, REALLY do not like this teeny tiny input box for composing my reply. 

You can enlarge the input box at the bottom right to as large as you like - at least I can using Chrome Browser on my Mac Mini.

You also have the option of using "quick reply" by simply typing below the previous post, or using the reply button.  I'm sure we'll get used to things as we explore it more.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:  What happened to the navigation panel on the right? How can I revert to the old interface? 

The navigation can now be done via dropdowns from "headers" at the top of the page.

Once you're in a sub-forum, there's a "community browser" on the right side of the page.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- wrote:  I also really, REALLY do not like this teeny tiny input box for composing my reply. 

You can enlarge the input box at the bottom right to as large as you like - at least I can using Chrome Browser on my Mac Mini.

You also have the option of using "quick reply" by simply typing below the previous post, or using the reply button.  I'm sure we'll get used to things as we explore it more.

Wow, so you can!  Thanks!!!  😀

Yes, this new design will take some getting used to.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm still trying to find a way to display all online users, useful if you want to see if a specific Mod is currently online and working.

I'm also trying to find a way to display a list of posts in the order that they were posted in, regardless of the section that they were posted in.  I know that the Ignite service disconnecting every few minutes!! thread is active and has posts that are only a few hours old but I don't see that topic at the top of "Latest Conversations" or in "Trending Topics".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

1. I'm still trying to find a way to display all online users.

I'm also trying to find a way to display a list of posts in the order that they were posted in, regardless of the section that they were posted in. 

1, I can't either.

2. I use the following bookmark which I've had for a long time, however, you're right. I could not find the "Community Forums - All Posts" link anywhere.  It used to be on the main forum page IIRC.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/node-display-id/categ...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks, @57 !

Another little annoyance: when replying to a post, the page title no longer changes to "Reply to...", making it hard to locate the tab I was just typing in after switching to another tab to check reference material.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- wrote:

I'm still trying to find a way to display all online users.

I can't either.

Here's how: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/usersonlinepage/

jays77

So far I'm not a big fan of the new site.  It really is not very user friendly, 

How to reply?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Yesterday the forum changed. Today I don't see any way to reply to individual posts, except add a comment or a new post at the end. What am I missing?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR : In the blog there is only room for "comments" and you need to be signed in to make a comment there.  In other threads (like this one), you should be able to see a "reply" button, or simply type a reply in the "quick reply" box at the end of a thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I'm logged into the forum, I have the option to set preferences for number of posts that are displayed per page in a thread or number of threads viewable in a forum or sub-forum (say 20-30).

When I"m not logged in, which is usually the case, I'm only seeing 5-6 posts or threads which makes it difficult to scroll a thread or forum since I always need to select a new page.  Is it possible to change this default to say 10 or 15 or 20?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR : In the blog there is only room for "comments" and you need to be signed in to make a comment there.  In other threads (like this one), you should be able to see a "reply" button, or simply type a reply in the "quick reply" box at the end of a thread.

I thought a much about the blog. But browsing the forums I did not see a Reply button on any of the posts.  Your post had a Reply button, as do the others in this thread. But when I browse the other forums again, the posts have no Reply buttons, only the ability to add a new post. It seem I can't reply to any posts made before this Apocalypse.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did you try a different browser?  Also the usual checklist link below?

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-load-certain-website-s-and-or-videos/m-p/46...

I tried some older threads from 2020 and as far back as 2014 and see reply buttons, no problem.  I'm using Chrome on my Mac Mini.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I use Firefox on Windows 7. Just tried Chrome, same thing, but even harder to navigate.

Okay, I found how to do it.  I go to a forum and then click on any particular post and it has a Reply button. Just learning the new interface.

jays77

How do you mark all threads read.  In the old easy to use  format I could just click on the dropdown menu to mark all read, all or mark all new etc.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@jays77 wrote:

How do you mark all threads read.  In the old easy to use  format I could just click on the dropdown menu to mark all read, all or mark all new etc.

Good question. Occasionally with the old interface a post would still show as unread after reading it, so I would mark the thread as read manually. With this new one, there is an Options button at the top right corner where you cam mark the posts All New or All Read.

There's a lot more work to do to make the new interface as intuitive and easy to use as the old one.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jays77 wrote:

Not sure if this will work for you but in "My Settings / Preferences / General" you can automatically "Mark posts as read", either when you log off or after X number of days.

jays77

It's been about a week and I like the new format less and less each day.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

I used to just click on Ignite TV and see all the lasted threads.messages.  Now I only see a thread that was last updated 3 weeks ago.  The forums are now of little value to me.  There was no need to change them.

Topic Stats
  • 146 replies
  • 56 Likes
  • 15 in conversation